Diversity and Inclusion
Awards and Achievements
- UC San Diego Health System is recognized as a “Leader in LGBT Healthcare Equality” for the second consecutive year in the Healthcare Equality Index 2013 report, an annual survey conducted by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation. (LGBT: lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender)
- UC San Diego Health System receives the Urban League of San Diego County’s 2011 Corporate Diversity Award, which is given to a corporation that has made a significant contribution to the ideals of diversity through community engagement, social responsibility and employment practices.
Diversity and Inclusion Entities
The Community Advisory Council on Inclusion and Diversity (CACID) explores how to define diversity, inclusion and cultural competency as a common language for UC San Diego Health System so that it meets compliance regulations, as well as the needs of staff, patients and their families, and community members. CACID meets quarterly and makes recommendations to leadership.
- Open Communication – Provide a forum for community stakeholders to discuss issues of importance related to UC San Diego Health System’s interactions with diverse audiences
- Community Interaction – Explore opportunities for UC San Diego Health System to expand its reach and relationships with the broader community to promote health education and awareness, and collaborative relationships
- Programmatic Support – Provide insight and perspective to UC San Diego Health System’s staff related to the development of culturally competent programs and services
UC San Diego Heath System will strive to provide the highest level of cultural competency in all interactions with staff, patients and families, and the community.
UC San Diego Health System and its stakeholders will foster greater understanding among people of diverse backgrounds and cultures by promoting open communication, community interaction and programmatic support.
UC San Diego Health System’s Diversity Staff Association promotes knowledge about different communities that form our unique employee base. Every spring, the group organizes a diversity celebration at UC San Diego Medical Center and UC San Diego Thornton Hospital. In addition, the association hosts panel discussions with representatives from various community groups to promote understanding.
The LGBT Staff Association is the official staff association for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community at UC San Diego Health System. The LGBT Staff Association works with UC San Diego Health System’s Government and Community Affairs office to coordinate our involvement with major events in the LGBT community, such as the San Diego LGBT Pride Parade and Festival. In addition, the association provides input on matters involving culturally competent care for LGBT patients and helps with the submission of materials for our annual Healthcare Equality Index (HEI) “Leader in LGBT Healthcare Equality” nomination.
Participation in Local and National Organizations
- Philippine Nurses Association of San Diego County
- San Diego Black Nurses Association
- San Diego National Association of Hispanic Nurses
At UC San Diego Health System, we care for a diverse population of patients from hundreds of countries that speak many different languages. To be able to communicate with our patients, we offer interpreter services, which include five on-site Spanish language interpreters, a 24-hour Language Line, an interpretation phone service that is available year-round and in more than 200 languages, and a newly launched My Accessible Real-Time Trusted Interpreter (MARTTI) program.
Developed by the Language Access Network, MARTTI is a HIPAA-approved, two-way video and audio wireless connection to a skilled medical interpreter that assists with interpretation and language barriers in health care. This new service provides access to interpreters for more than 150 languages, including American Sign Language (ASL), 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It allows health care providers to use a 19-inch screen for face-to-face communication. By simply pushing a button on the screen and asking the operator for the desired language, patients will be able to see an interpreter in less than 30 seconds.
Diverse Employee Base
At UC San Diego Health System, we pride ourselves on our diverse employee base. We strive to create a workplace environment in which employees from all backgrounds communicate and work together.
UC San Diego Health Sciences (as of July 2013)
(UC San Diego School of Medicine, Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences)
UC San Diego Health System (as of July 2013)