It is the mission of the Apheresis Program to be a leader in the provision of apheresis therapies, to provide the highest quality of care, to participate in clinical research and to support and promote the vision and strategic goals of the UC San Diego Health.
The Aphereis department is located in the basement room L-040, 9 West, as well as at Moores Cancer Center, and Radys Chldren’s Hospital. Our patient demographic is Neurological Diseases (MS, NMO, MG) Cancer, Transplant, and Autoimmune diseases and our RN to Patient ratio is 1:1. We have a mix of staff including RNs, Administrative assistants, Nurse Manager and Nephrologists.
The types of procedures done on these units are: Therapeutic Plasmapheresis, Photopheresis, Stemcell Collection, WBC depletion and collection, Platelet depletion, and LDL. We use machines such as the Optia Aphereis Machine, Cobe Spectra Apheresis Machines, XTS Photopheresis Machine, Cellex Photopheresis Machine, and Kaneka LDL pheresis machine.
Patient Care Delivery System - Primary care and partnership with a team nursing care approach.
- Staff/unit recognition and awards-Nurse of the Year Thuan Minh Tran
- Educational achievements-First annual Apheresis Educational Conference Jan 14, 2012.
- Next Year-“Essentials and Advances in Apheresis Therapies” 3/7/2013-3/9/13
- Publications: Odette Ada,RN, BSN. Utilization of Therapeutic Apheresis in the United States published in Blood, Journal of American Society of Hematology Nov 2011. Utilization of Therapeutic Apheresis in the United States. Published by Public Library of Science ONE on July 2012.
Community Outreach or Activities
Staff participated in the Multiple Sclerosis Society Walk, “Light the Night” for Leukemia Lymphoma Society, Breast Cancer (Susan G Komen) Walk, National Kidney Foundation walk, UCSD Moores Cancer Center Annual Luau and LongBoard Invitational. American Heart Association Heart Walk.
An ideal candidate will have a background in apheresis/acute dialysis and /or recent inpatient experience. Work effectively in both team-focused environment and sensitive to cultural diversity. Must have strong critical thinking and communication skills.
What’s new in the unit?
- “Essentials and Advances in Apheresis Therapies” 3/7/2013-3/9/2013
- Now providing LDL apheresis
- Evidence based practice research projects” Reduce CLABSI”
- CNII-CNIII promotions- 2011 Sheryl Allder RN
- Culture of unit and exciting fun thing—high energy with exceptional customer service. 90% and above in customer satisfaction, six years straight!