Leer esta página en español (read this page in Spanish).
Access Your Medical Information Online
Want to view your personal medical record*? You can access much of your personal health information online in your MyUCSDChart account.
Login to MyUCSDChart
What is MyUCSDChart?
*Not all of your information available through Medical Records is available on MyUCSDChart.
Requesting Copies of Your Medical Records
Requests for medical records must be made in writing. Please follow these steps.
1. Print out and complete an Authorization to Release Protected Health Information
These PDF files require Acrobat Reader, version 9 or later. If you experience problems, please download the latest version .
2. Mail your completed form to:
Health Information Services
UC San Diego Medical Center
200 West Arbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92103
If you do not have access to a computer, you may stop by the above address and fill out a release there, or call 619-543-6704 to request a copy of the release form be mailed to you.
Important Information About Requesting Medical Records
Records can be released to anyone who the patient authorizes (in writing) to receive such information. The authorization form above can be used to request records for personal use or for continuing medical care. You can submit the same form for our UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest, UC San Diego Thornton Hospital, as well as Perlman, Lewis Street, Moores Cancer Center and Scripps Ranch clinic locations.
A valid authorization MUST contain the following information or the request will be returned:
- Patient’s full name and date of birth (list any other names the patient may have had)
- Medical record number (if available)
- Specific information being requested (i.e., type of report/information and dates of service, etc.)
- Purpose for which the information may be disclosed (i.e., personal use, continuity of care, legal matter)
- To whom the information is to be sent (name and address)
- Specify authorization’s expiration date if desired (otherwise, the authorization will be valid one year from date signed)
- The patient’s signature or a patient’s legal representative’s signature. Authorizations signed by a representative must be verified. Please include a copy of one of the following documents indicating either:
- Legal guardianship papers, or
- Advance Directive/Healthcare Power of Attorney (Download in English and Spanish), for patients unable to make healthcare decisions, or
- Designation of Personal Representative Form , (Download in English | Download in Spanish) which allows the representative to act on the patient's behalf with regard to personal health information.
- Please note that unsigned requests will not be processed
- Date of the signature
Requests for medical records of deceased patients require a copy of the death certificate or evidence of next of kin or executorship of the estate.
Please also include your phone number in case we need to contact you for additional information concerning your request.
Requests for Personal Use
- Please follow the instructions above
- There is a fee for the copies and processing of the copies if the request is for your personal use.
- Please allow reasonable time to process your request. We will contact you in the event we experience unforeseen delays or are unable to fulfill your request.
- Records will be mailed to the address specified on the authorization form, or you may pick them up at our office if you make arrangements with the Release of Information Staff. For security reasons, please be prepared to show proper photo identification.
Requests for Continuing Medical Care
- Medical emergencies will be faxed free of charge directly to a physician or medical facility.
- Continuing care requests are also free of charge and will be mailed to your clinic/physician(s) prior to your appointment (please indicate the date of your appointment on the authorization form so that the copies are received early enough for your physician to review).
- Pertinent information such as radiology/imaging, history and physical, consultations, operative reports, and discharge summaries are routinely provided to the physician for continuing care.
Certain information requires a special authorization covering sensitive information. This includes psychiatric, drug and/or alcohol abuse, HIV/AIDS, genetic testing. Authorizations for sensitive information must specifically refer to the information that is to be released.
Requests for X-Ray Films
Please contact our Radiology/Imaging Department for films, at
Requests for Birth Certificates/Death Certificates
Please contact the County of San Diego at https://arcc.sdcounty.ca.gov/pages/birthdeath-certificates.aspx
Sharing Your Information with Other Providers
Learn about Health Information Exchanges and sharing your health information with outside providers.