Quality Care: Awards and Reports
We're proud of our exceptional record. For a full report on quality scores, see Quality and Safety at UC San Diego Health System or the links below.
Awards and Achievements
- Among the top 25 programs in the nation for cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery for 2014-15 by U.S. News & World Report
- In December 2013, Becker's Hospital Review put us on its list of 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs. Editors at Becker’s Hospital Review recognized the Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center for being heavily involved with clinical trials for at least 17 cardiac conditions. Learn more.
- We were named one of the nation's 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals for 2013 by Truven Health Analytics. The study examined the performance of more than 1,000 hospitals by analyzing outcomes for patients with heart failure and heart attacks, and for those who received coronary bypass surgery and percutaneous coronary inventions such as angioplasties. The top 50 hospitals achieved significantly higher levels of care efficiency than their peers.
- In 2013, we were designated a Blue Distinction Center for both Blue Shield and Anthem Blue Cross
- Over the last year,we significantly decreased "door-to-balloon" time, or the time it took for a lifesaving procedure during the most severe types of heart attacks. Our time was under 60 minutes, well below the national benchmarks. Read more.
- We were one of only 167 hospital nationwide to receive America College of Cardiology Foundation's NCR ACTION Registry-GWTG (Get With the Guidelines) Gold Performance Achievement Award for 2011. The quality improvement program recognizes our success in implementing a higher standard of care for heart attack patients and signifies that our team has reached an aggressive goal of treating these patients. Read more.
- In February 2011, we performed a rare, life-saving cardiac surgery called heterotopic heart transplantation, where the patient’s own heart remains in place while a donor heart is implanted, leaving the patient with two beating hearts. Read more.
- In January 2011, we implanted the first total artificial heart in California. Read more.
- The Stroke Center at UC San Diego Health System earned the Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval in 2004 and became the first primary stroke center in San Diego County. Read more stroke care facts and figures.
Leapfrog Hospital Survey
The Leapfrog Group is a coalition of public and private purchasers of employee health coverage founded in 2000 to work for improvements in health care safety, quality and affordability. The Leapfrog Group surveys over 1,300 hospitals and assesses performance on several metrics, including high-risk surgeries such as aortic valve replacement and abdominal aortic aneurism repair.
Hospital Compare is a website created through collaboration of Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and the Hospital Quality Alliance (HQA).
Cardiovascular-specific reports for UC San Diego Health System:
View all UC San Diego reports in Hospital Compare