Before PTE Surgery
Aside from the tests required to determine whether PTE is the right procedure for you, there are a number of things that need to be handled before your surgery:
- Complete the application and medical history information in the UCSD Pulmonary Thromboendarterectomy Program packet (which will be mailed to you) and send it back.
- Have your medical summary sent to the medical team at UCSD. This information will be reviewed by one of the PTE team members, who will contact you and your physician with information regarding the arrangements that need to be made.
Where to Stay in San Diego
UC San Diego Health System has arrangements with several hotels near our La Jolla and Hillcrest facilities. You must ask for this special rate when you reserve. Please note that reservations agents at the hotels’ 800 numbers may not be aware of the special rates for patients and their families. In that case, call the local San Diego number for the hotel property.
A few of the hotels with a UCSD rate include:
Near La Jolla:
- Embassy Suites, 858-453-0400 (ask for UCSD rate)
- Andrea Villa Inn, 858-459-3311 (ask for UCSD rate)
- Days Inn Hotel Circle, 619-297-8800 (ask for UCSD pulmonary rate)
- Holiday Inn Select, 619-291-5720 (ask for Code 3 - UCMC)
You will receive a packet with more information on housing options when you schedule your treatment.
UC San Diego also has arrangements with several local hotels, including Bartell Hotels. See a list of hotels in Hillcrest and La Jolla, or find information on Bartell Hotels' discount rates at seven properties for UC San Diego.
You may also be able to stay at the Bannister Family House, located just behind UCSD Medical Center in Hillcrest. To find out whether the Bannister Family House may be an option for you, please call the UCSD Social Services Office at 619-543-5730 or see the Bannister Family House website.
Paying for Your Stay
We realize that staying in San Diego for approximately three weeks can be costly, despite our ongoing efforts to help you minimize your expenses wherever possible. Therefore, we recommend that you be financially prepared to cover the following expenses:
- Airfare, including additional fees for oxygen in-flight (if you are flying)
- Oxygen during your hotel stay and/or transportation to and from the airport
- Rental car bills and gasoline (if you elect to rent a car during your stay)
- Hotel bills, including phone calls
- Meals outside the hospital
- Various unexpected expenses
Bring a major credit card and traveler’s checks, as well as some cash. Do not bring a personal check to cash or to pay expenses unless your financial institution has a branch in San Diego. Very few hotels, stores, and companies accept out-of-area checks. You should also consider bringing a prepaid phone card with you to reduce costs.
Medication and Oxygen During Your Stay
Your medications will be provided by UCSD while you are hospitalized. However, any medications you need while you are an outpatient or during your hotel stay are expenses you will need to plan for. Please bring an ample supply of those medications with you, or plan to pay for them here in San Diego out of pocket. This includes any prescriptions your doctors here at UCSD may write for you outside of your hospitalization time.
If you are on oxygen prior to your arrival in San Diego, ask your oxygen company if they are affiliated with an oxygen company here. If they are not, there are a number of independent oxygen delivery companies in San Diego that UCSD uses. These include:
- Prescribed Oxygen
We can provide you with the telephone numbers for these companies, as well as assist you with making arrangements for oxygen delivery.