The Hyperbaric Chamber
At our Hillcrest location, the hyperbaric chamber is the regional center for diving and hyperbaric emergencies, and it is the only chamber in San Diego County open 24 hours, seven days a week, 365 days a year. It's a large steel cylinder, which is compressed with air to a pressure greater than that of sea level, and we can treat multiple patients at one time in it. The hyperbaric chamber at Hillcrest also:
- Can treat up to six routine patients, or as many as 10 emergency patients at one time
- Has been in continuous operation since 1984
- Treats a variety of conditions
- Has the capability to treat ICU patients
At our Encinitas location, the hyperbaric chamber can treat eight to ten patients at a time. The chamber is also:
- The most technically sophisticated hyperbaric system available
- Nine feet high and 170 square feet inside, so patients can enter and exit comfortably and there is less chance for claustrophobia
Both the Hillcrest and Encinitas chambers are designed with comfortable seats and view ports.
Patients can read books and magazines, watch TV, or listen to music during treatments and are directly attended to at all times while in the hyperbaric chamber.
The following are not allowed in the hyperbaric chamber:
- Hair spray
- Vaseline or any other petroleum-based products
- Personal electronic devices
Most skin care products are petroleum based, so please check with the hyperbaric unit staff before using any lotion or other product prior to treatment.
You will be supplied with hospital scrubs to wear during your treatment.