Genetic counselors are trained to review family histories, explain the chance that a genetic disorder may recur in other family members, explore genetic testing options, and offer counseling and support when test results are received.
It is important that the genetic counseling be done at a center staffed by individuals specially trained and certified in genetics and in assisting families with these important issues.
Our geneticists are dedicated to providing you with the information and genetic counseling you need to make the best possible choices regarding the future of your family.
- Tara Andreasen, MS, CGC
- Christina Brock, MS, CGC
- Lauren Korty, MS, CGC
- Nydia Santiago Neal, MS, CGC
- Kelsey Rolfe, MS, CGC
Our counselors are available to consult with:
- Families considering prenatal screening and diagnosis options
- Women whose prenatal screening results demonstrate an increased risk for birth defects such as spina bifida or Down syndrome
- Women who have an increased risk of a baby with a chromosomal abnormality due to maternal age (35 years of age and above at delivery)
- Couples at risk of having a child with an autosomal recessive disorder due to ethnic background (e.g. sickle cell anemia, Tay-Sachs disease, cystic fibrosis)
Counseling and risk assesment is provided to:
- Families who have a previous child with a birth defect
- Families who are at increased risk for a baby with a chromosomal abnormality due to a known familial chromosomal rearrangement
- Families with a history of a known genetic disorder (e.g. achondroplasis, phenylketonuria [PKU], cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia)
- Families with a history of unexplained mental retardation
Our counselors may be able to recommend tests for:
- Repeated miscarriages
Counselors can discuss levels of risk with:
- Women who have a condition that may put the pregnancy at an increased risk for birth defects (e.g. diabetes, epilepsy)
- Women who have been exposed to an environmental agent that may put their baby at an increased risk for birth defects (e.g. alcohol, Accutane)