What is Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction?
A life-affirming course in conscious living
The course schedule consists of eight weekly classes and one daylong class on a weekend. This highly participatory, practical course includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
- Inquiry exercises to enhance awareness in everyday life
- Individually tailored instruction
- Group dialogue
- Daily home assignments
- Guided audio files for home practice and a workbook
- A free copy of Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn
The course is challenging and life-affirming. The instructors are accomplished and skilled at creating a safe, supportive, and deeply engaging learning environment that allows participants to seek, explore, and inquire.
In this program, you will learn:
- Articulate the key aspects of mindfulness as it relates to stress reduction, coping with pain and illness and enhancing well-being
- Differentiate MBSR from relaxation and other distraction techniques that may seem similar but are fundamentally and theoretically quite different in contending with difficulty and enhancing quality of life
- Practice and apply mindfulness techniques in both personal and professional settings as a means of contending more effectively with the demands of both settings
- Integrate mindfulness into social interaction with patients, colleagues, supervisors, family and friends to facilitate more effective and mindful communication
- Articulate the potential benefits of mindfulness-based stress reduction (and mindfulness in general) to educate patients and their families about the benefits of such programs in their own lives
- Implement brief mindfulness practices with patients and family members as a means of contending with acute pain, anxiety and distress.
NOTE: In order to participate in a Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction class, please review course expectations outlined on the Practice & Learning Guidelines page. Once you have done this, review the upcoming course schedule and you can register online. Please note that you save $50 if you register more than 30 days in advance for one of our classes.
Center for Mindfulness
UC San Diego Center for Integrative Medicine and Department of Psychiatry
5060 Shoreham Place, Suite 200
San Diego, CA 92122-0980