The internship is a full time, 43-week program, and interns are scheduled to work approximately 40 hours per week, usually Monday through Friday. Classroom time and field trips may be scheduled within the 40 hours or outside of the regular daily schedule. Interns are also scheduled to work some weekends and holidays. Please refer to the "Summary of Supervised Practice and Didactic Hours"
for the internship schedule.
- The official start date of the UC San Diego Medical Dietetic Internship is the last week in August each year
- The first week of the internship is called Orientation
- During Orientation, dietetic interns are introduced to the UC San Diego Medical Center campus, program preceptors, and fellow dietetic interns
- The primary purpose of Orientation is to educate dietetic interns about program expectations, policies, and procedures and provide dietetic interns with baseline medical nutrition therapy education
- Dietetic interns can expect to receive individual rotation schedules for the year at the end of Orientation week
- A strong clinical nutrition department allows for opportunity to provide nutrition care for complex patients across the life span
- The Nutrition Therapy concentration offers experience in management and supervision of virtually all medical conditions
- Dietetic intern will spend 18 weeks in inpatient clinical rotation and 2 weeks of clinical staff relief
Experiences will most likely include, but are not limited to, the following specialty areas:
- General Surgery
- General Medicine
- Maternal Care Center
- IMU/Step Down
- Thornton Bone Marrow Transplant
- Neonatal Intensive Care
- Medical Intensive Care
- Surgical Intensive Care
- Critical Care
- Burn Intensive Care
- Diet Office
Food Service Management
- Dietetic Interns will spend seven weeks in food service/management rotations
Experiences will most likely include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
- Patient Food Services
- Human Resources
- Financial Management
- Food Service/Clinical Nutrition Management projects
- Dietetic interns will spend 10 weeks in Outpatient/Community Nutrition rotations
- Meals on Wheels
Experiences will most likely include but are not limited to the following specialty areas:
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Bariatric Metabolic Institute
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Diabetic OB
- Eating Disorders
- General Outpatient Nutrition Clinic
- Moore’s Oncology
- Pediatric/Adult HIV
Dietetic interns will spend one week between the hospital’s Clinical and Translational Research Institute, UC San Diego Health Sciences and/or the UC San Diego Department of Family and Preventive Medicine.
Dietetic interns will spend one week in an elective rotation of their choice (within UC San Diego affiliations).
Dietetic interns will spend approximately three weeks in staff relief during their food service management and clinical nutrition rotation.
Dietetic interns receive one week of vacation at the end of December each year. Each dietetic intern may be expected to work some of the UC San Diego designated holidays (excluding Christmas, New Years and Thanksgiving).
- The majority of internship experiences take place at UC San Diego Medical Center and Thornton Hospital, both located in San Diego
- UC San Diego Medical Center is a 386-bed hospital and primary hospital for the University of California San Diego School of Medicine
- Thornton Hospital is a 119-bed hospital and located approximately eight miles from UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest
- Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center provides inpatient heart and stroke care in single cutting edge location