Your First Appointment
Your initial consultation will be with Shira Varon, MD, who is board-certified in obstetrics and gynecology. Dr. Varon will take your medical history, including your symptoms, evaluate you, and examine your fibroids, as necessary. You and Dr. Varon will then discuss and develop a personalized treatment option.
Tests to check for fibroids include:
- Pelvic exam. During a pelvic exam, your doctor manually feels (palpates) areas in your pelvis for abnormalities, including fibroids.
- Ultrasound. During a vaginal ultrasound, a wand-shaped scanner (transducer) is inserted into your vagina. In an ultrasound of the pelvis via the abdomen, a small scanner is moved across your abdomen. Both tests use sound waves to provide a video image of your reproductive organs.
Tips for First Appointment
Because it can be difficult to remember everything you want to discuss, it’s a good idea to prepare for your appointment.
- Write down any symptoms you’ve experienced. Include all your symptoms, even if you don’t think they’re related.
- Make a list of any medication or vitamin supplements you take. Write down doses and how often you take them.
- Have a family member of close friend accompany you, if possible. You may be given a lot of information at your visit, and it can be difficult to remember everything.
- Bring a notepad with you, and write down important information during your visit.
- Prepare a list of questions. List the most important ones first, in case time runs out.
To make an appointment, contact the Fibroid Treatment Program.