Depression Screening Test
Do you need help? If you are experiencing any of the symptoms to the left, you are not alone. There are safe, effective treatments that can help you enjoy this stage of your life.
Blue Dots Raise Awareness
Sticker campaign offers comforting message. Read the U-T San Diego article.
Depression During Pregnancy
Prenatal depression isn't as well known as postpartum depression, but it is real. Read a Q&A in the UT San Diego.
Can Men Experience Postpartum Depression or Anxiety?
Learn about baby blues for new dads.
Many women believe that motherhood should be the happiest time of a woman’s life. However, one in eight women has symptoms of depression or anxiety during pregnancy or after childbirth. UC San Diego's Maternal Mental Health Clinic was created in 2007 to help women recover from anxiety, depression, or other emotional concerns during infertilty, pregnancy, or the postpartum period.
Common Symptoms of Anxiety or Depression
- Sad mood
- Frequent crying
- Guilt over not enjoying time with your infant
- Feeling overwhelmed by the demands of motherhood
- Frequent worry about seemingly little things
- Inability to make decisions
- Disturbing images of harm coming to your child
- Preconception planning
- Pregnancy and postpartum depression
- Pregnancy loss and infertility
- Premenstrual mood disorders
We discuss the risks and benefits of any treatment, and work closely with your other physicians and healthcare providers to coordinate your care. We offer single-visit consultations or ongoing medication management or psychotherapy.
Common Questions We Address
- Is it safe to keep taking my medication during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
- What is my risk for postpartum depression or anxiety, and how can I prevent it?
- How can I manage my depression or anxiety without medication?
- How do I cope with infertility or pregnancy loss?
- What can I do about mood swings or irritability around my period?
UC San Diego Health System – La Jolla
8950 Villa La Jolla Drive, Suite C-207
La Jolla, CA 92037
Call 858-534-8730 to schedule a consultation.