Location: 4910 Directors Place, Suite 200, Sorrento Valley (maps and directions)
Meet Our Specialists
Early, Noninvasive Testing Eases Anxiety in Moms Over 35
At UC San Diego, it is possible to screen for some of the most common genetic abnormalities earlier, more accurately and without any risk to the fetus. Read more.
Our center is a nationally recognized site for screening for chromosomal abnormalities and other birth defects. Board certified maternal-fetal medicine specialists, medical geneticists, genetic counselors, radiologists and other specialists provide prenatal and genetic counseling regarding amniocentesis, chorionic villus sampling (CVS) and ultrasound findings to patients and families.
This site is one of only a few in San Diego County to be accredited by the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine in both obstetric ultrasound and fetal echocardiography.
Our services are available for both low-risk and high-risk pregnancies, and can be used in a coordinated approach from pre-conception to birth.
Counseling is available for:
- Couples who wish to review their family history and screening options before conception
- Women who will be age 35 or above (age 33 or above with a twin pregnancy) at the time of delivery
- Women whose prenatal screening results and/or ultrasound demonstrate an increased risk for birth defects or chromosome abnormality
- Individuals who are carriers of a genetic disease or may have an increased risk of carrying specific genetic disorders
- Individuals with a family history of mental retardation, birth defects, genetic conditions, chromosome abnormalities
- Couples with a history of multiple unexplained miscarriages or infertility
- Women who have a condition that may put the pregnancy at an increased risk for birth defects (e.g. diabetes, epilepsy)
- Women who have been exposed to an environmental agent that may put their baby at an increased risk for birth defects (e.g. alcohol, Accutane)
- First- and second-trimester genetic screening, including nuchal translucency (NT) ultrasound in conjunction with blood tests offered by the California Prenatal Screening Program
- Noninvasive Prenatal Testing (NIPT)
- Chorionic villus sampling (CVS)
- Ultrasound screenings, including level III fetal anatomy ultrasound
- Chromosomal microarray
- Carrier screening
Appointments and Referrals
Call 858-657-7200 for appointments, referrals, or to get directions to the facility. Referring providers can download the Patient Referral Form (PDF) and fax the completed form to 858-657-7201.
Maternal-Fetal Care and Genetics is located at UC San Diego Health System Sorrento Valley.