Day Treatment Program for Eating Disorders
The UCSD Day Treatment Program for Eating Disorders is an intensive treatment program for individuals with Anorexia Nervosa (AN) or Bulimia Nervosa (BN) who:
- Require more structure and supervision than can be provided in an Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) setting
- Are medically stable enough to not necessitate hospitalization
- In some cases, are "stepping down" from an inpatient/residential setting
What does the Day Treatment Program include?
- Individual therapy: for all patients
- Family/Couples therapy: All teenage patients will have family therapy as part of their treatment program, as this has been proven to be helpful to both the adolescent’s recovery as well as the entire family system. Adults may wish to bring in their significant others, and/or family members to help with the recovery process
- Group therapy: We have many groups available in the Day Treatment Program including: Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Mindfulness Meditation, Motivational Enhancement Therapy, Psychoeducation, nutritional, and process groups
- Nutritional Services: The registered dietitian will meet with patients on a regular basis to provide them with a meal plan outside of program hours and encourage flexibility regarding food choices
- Psychiatric consultation: Each patient will be given a full psychiatric evaluation upon admission to the Day Treatment Program. Our psychiatrist will consult with the patient’s existing psychiatrist if they have one. In addition, our psychiatrist will coordinate medical care closely with the primary care physician, insuring regular labs, vitals and general medical condition is monitored closely.
When does the Day Treatment Program meet?
This program is a more intensive program for those who require more structure and supervision, including meal support.
- DT meets from 9:00am to 7:00pm Monday through Friday, providing three meals a day plus a variety of evidence-based interventions.
- A less intensive option meets 9:00am to 3:00pm and provides 2 meals and snack.
Where is the program held?
The program is located within our clinic (see "Contact Us" on our homepage) in a separate suite from our Intensive Outpatient Program.
How does payment work?
Payment arrangements can be made by using insurance or cash payments
In summary, this university-based program offers the assurance of scientifically-based treatments delivered in a warm and caring environment
Please call 858-534-8019 to schedule a free intake appointment.