Senior Behavioral Health Intensive Outpatient Program
The UC San Diego Health System Senior Behavioral Health Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) offers a therapeutic alternative to inpatient psychiatric care for seniors. The program is a physician-supervised treatment program for seniors experiencing depression, anxiety and other psychiatric problems
The program offers a rehabilitative and supportive environment to older adults in need of treatment for emotional, family or social issues that interfere with daily functioning.
The focus of the program includes the achievement of independence and adaptation through a group therapy approach to improve skills associated with daily living, socialization, problem-solving and interpersonal functioning.
About Senior Behavioral Health IOP
The Senior Behavioral Health Intensive Outpatient Program:
- Meets two to three days per week
- Eases the transition back into the community after a period of inpatient treatment, and is ideal for patients recovering from an acute psychiatric illness
- Helps patients set realistic goals for rehabilitation, participate actively in their own recovery, and learn skills necessary for daily living and good interpersonal skills necessary for daily living and good interpersonal functioning
- Function seamlessly within a continuum of care at UC San Diego Health System, that includes the Seniors Only Clinic (SOCARE), the Geriatric Psychiatry Outpatient Clinic and the Senior Behavioral Health Inpatient Unit
Senior Behavioral Health IOP Services
- Diagnostic evaluations of psychiatric problems by a physician specialist in geriatric psychiatry
- Evaluations of functional capabilities, problem areas and personal strengths
- Referrals to other specialists and community resources when appropriate
- Individualized group therapy utilizing a variety of proven treatment approaches including cognitive behavioral psychotherapy
The dedicated and caring staff includes:
- Jennifer Dunkin, PhD, Program Director
- Judy Johnson, LCSW
The Senior Behavioral Health IOP program is located on the first floor of Thornton Hospital.
For more information, call 858-657-7880.
Senior Behavioral Health Program
UC San Diego Medical Center
200 West Arbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92103