Bone Densitometry (DXA)
Dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA, previously DEXA) is a means of measuring bone mineral density (BMD). It is used to determine the “hardness” of a patient’s bones, particularly the lower back and hips, which are evaluated in a standard bone density test.
As patients experience calcium loss in their bones for various reasons, they may be more prone to fractures. Some of these factors include:
- Drug and alcohol abuse
- Some prescribed medications
- Certain chronic health conditions
While this test is more commonly prescribed for women, men and children are frequently evaluated based on their physician’s recommendation.
How to Schedule Your Bone Densitometry Test
- Ask your primary care physician for a referral
- Appointments are available in both Hillcrest and La Jolla
- Call us for an appointment at 619-543-3405