UC San Diego Health System Neurological Rehabilitation offers intensive targeted rehabilitation for adults within the outpatient setting. Within this program, our physical, occupational and speech therapists see patients with a wide range of diagnoses and injuries, including: Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, brain tumors, brain injury, stroke, ALS, spinal cord injuries, balance problems, history of falls, vestibular disorders, and other neurological disorders.
Our specially trained therapists evaluate each patient to determine individual patient needs and set treatment plans with the patient’s goal in mind. Our therapists strive to maximize a person’s return to functional independence and an active and healthy lifestyle post-neurological injury.
Our therapists are always striving to increase their knowledge in order to better serve our patients. Some of our therapist certifications include:
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) Neurological Clinical Specialist certification
- Vestibular therapy certification
- LSVT LOUD and BIG certification for voice and movement therapy for Parkinson’s disease and other conditions
- Neuromuscular electrical stimulation technique for swallowing impaired individuals
- Assistive Technology Professional (ATP) specializing in wheelchair seating and mobility
- Saeboflex trained therapists for stroke and brain-injured patients
Our therapists actively support people touched by neurological disorders in the San Diego community. Here are some of the ways that our therapists interact with the neurological community:
- Serve as vice chair of the APTA Neurology Section Balance and Falls Special Interest Group
- Participate in UC San Diego interdisciplinary care groups including:
- Run a Speech group for people with impaired speech and cognition
- Participate in various community events such as the Step by Step Parkinson’s 5k and the UC San Diego Brain Tumor Conference
- Participate in research studies on various neurological dysfunctions
At UC San Diego Health System, we provide evidence-based treatment that can help you to achieve your goals following neurological injury. Let our neurological rehabilitation team assist you in achieving your unique goals.