Research and Clinical Trials
Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Research
At UC San Diego, scientists are using state-of-the-art methods, in collaboration with our elite surgical staff, to study musculoskeletal trauma, sports injuries, degenerative diseases, tumors and congenital disorders.
Our physician-scientists are active in numerous research projects and clinical studies. Using clinical, physiological, cellular and molecular tools, we are directly addressing such clinical problems as:
- The cause and repair of muscle injury
- The use of antiinflammatory medications to heal tissues
- Development of noninvasive diagnostic methods to study muscle, tendon, ligament and bone
- The role of exercise in injury prevention and recovery
- Exercise interventions to increase health and prevent type 2 diabetes
- Creation of novel rehabilitation methods for use in injury recovery
- Use of modeling to optimize and test novel surgical repair methods
- Creation of novel intraoperative tools to assist surgeons during procedures
Our department is unique in that our surgeons and scientists are colleagues, working side-by-side. Our scientists are exposed to the most important clinical problems and empowered to study and solve them, while our surgeons are provided with the most modern tools available to prevent, study or repair injured tissue.
Scientific Articles in Orthopedic Surgery
View titles and abstracts of scientific articles written by UC San Diego Health System’s orthopedic surgeons.
UC San Diego Health System Orthopedic Surgery Research Laboratories
Clinical Physiology Laboratory
Connective Tissue Biochemistry Laboratory
Muscle Physiology Laboratory
Clinical trials are highly regulated health-related research studies that help move advances in the treatment of disease and injuries forward into clinical practice. They offer people the chance to receive newly developed therapies and provide crucial information for improving care. The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery is currently conducting clinical trials involving a broad range of orthopedic conditions, technologies and procedures. Click the button below to find clinical trials at UC San Diego Health System that are currently seeking participants.
Search Clinical Trials