Ready, Set, Recover!
The Advantage of Getting Up Out of Bed
It may seem counterintuitive, but too much rest is not necessarily a good thing when you are recovering from surgery. Some common, yet serious complications that often develop when patients remain in hospital beds for external periods of time include:
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Pressure ulcers
- Intestinal paralysis (ileus)
By taking a proactive approach and beginning your recovery right away, you can greatly reduce your risk of these serious health complications and get back to your normal activities sooner.
Our Approach to Recovery
UC San Diego Health System ranked in highest category. Read more.
To help put patients on the right path for the most effective recovery possible, our recovery team:
- Uses the most modern and effective anesthesia methods and techniques
- Provides alternatives to narcotics to help manage pain after surgery
- Encourages patients to begin moving and resume activity immediately after surgery
- Advises patients to receive nutrition right away after surgery by consuming easy-to-digest liquids and foods.
Get a Head Start on Your Recovery
Here are some simple steps you can take to help begin your recovery:
- Strive to get out of bed the same day of your surgery. Just getting out of bed, sitting in a chair and walking around your room can help reduce your risk of complications.
- Have some sugarless gum or hard candy on hand for after your surgery.
- Remember to take any prescribed pain medications. This will minimize your pain and help you to get moving.
Start Your Recovery Right Away
By starting your recovery as soon as possible after your surgery you can greatly reduce your risk of serious health complications. Our team is dedicated to helping you recover as quickly and as smoothly as possible so you can return to your normal life and activities, feeling stronger and healthier than ever. Our program is delivered by a team of surgeons, anesthesiologists and nurses, working closely with patients and their families to help ensure the best recovery possible.
Download our Recovery 3 Day Checklist to help start your recovery right away!
Visit the University of California Center for Health Quality an Innovation here.