Less pain, accelerated recovery, people getting back to their lives after surgery faster. These are realities that UC San Diego Health is delivering to patients through leading edge research.
Our surgeons are well known for their research efforts that produce a steady stream of scientific knowledge and medical achievements. More importantly, our research is being translated into new lifesaving surgical techniques, diagnostic tools and improved patient outcomes. We are redefining how surgery is performed.
Current Research Areas
- New applications for robotic technology in minimally invasive surgeries
- Scarless and incisionless surgery
- Use of molecular fluorescence imaging to guide surgeons in tumor surgery
- Ex vivo liver resection and re-implantation
- Awake brain surgery
- New telemedicine applications for the management of wounds, plastic surgery consultations and medical care to children in developing nations
- Development of gene transfer delivery techniques for the central nervous system
View titles and abstracts of scientific articles at PubMed written by UC San Diego Health surgeons.
Clinical trials are highly regulated health research studies that move advances in the treatment of disease forward into clinical practice. They offer people the chance to receive newly developed therapies and provide crucial information for improving care. UC San Diego Health surgeons are currently conducting clinical trials in a broad spectrum of diseases and conditions.
Search Clinical Trials
Also see the Clinical Translational Research Institute
(CTRI) for more information on clinical research in the health sciences.