Since our founding in 1966, UC San Diego Health has attained national recognition in clinical excellence. Among our recent awards and achievements:
- UC San Diego Health received an "A" for hospital safety in April, 2016 from the Leapfrog Group. The A grade reflects overall performance in keeping patients safe from preventable harm and medical errors. Only five local medical facilities received the top grade.
- UC San Diego Medical Center was named one of “100 Great Hospitals in America” in 2015 by Becker’s Hospital Review. The award recognizes "the most prominent, forward-thinking and focused health care facilities in the nation.”
- UC San Diego Health was ranked the #1 health care system in San Diego and the #5 health care system in California by
U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- UC San Diego Health ranked among the nation's top in 12 out of 16 adult and surgical specialties ranked by
U.S. News and World Report in 2015, placing us among the nation's most prestigious health care centers for specialty care. Specialties in the top 50 nationally include: Cancer (#23); Cardiology and Heart Surgery (#24); Diabetes and Endocrinology (#31); Ear, Nose & Throat (#33); Gastroenterology & GI Surgery (#24); Geriatrics (#18); Gynecology (#44); Nephrology (#20); Neurology & Neurosurgery (#22); Orthopedics (#31); Pulmonology (#6) and Urology (#25). Less than 3 percent of the nearly 5,000 hospitals analyzed for the annual "Best Hospitals" report were nationally ranked in even one specialty.
- More than 100 doctors from 41 specialties were named "Top Docs" in 2015 in San Diego Magazine's “Physicians of Exceptional Excellence” annual survey, conducted in collaboration with the San Diego County Medical Society.
- UC San Diego Health was named one of the nation's "Top 100 Hospitals" by Truven Health in 2015. Based on an analysis of nearly 3,000 hospitals, the award recognizes hospitals that score the highest on patient care, operational efficiency and financial stability.
- UC San Diego Health was named a "Top Hospital" by the Leapfrog Group in 2014. Less than 7 percent of U.S. hospitals demonstrated this level of excellence in safety and quality. UC San Diego Health is the only “Top Hospital” in Southern California, and one of only seven in the state.
UC San Diego Health was awarded a "Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence" for the third year in a row in 2016 by Healthgrades, placing us among the top five percent of U.S. hospitals delivering superior care to the Medicare population based on clinical outcomes.
UC San Diego Health maintains a four-year Magnet® Recognition (2011-15) for Nursing Excellence from the American Nurses Credentialing Center, considered among the highest recognitions for quality patient care, nursing excellence and innovation in nursing practice. Recertification is in process for 2016-20.
UC San Diego Health was awarded "most wired - advanced" health system by the American Hospital Association in 2015. We are the only health system in California and one of only six in the nation with this "best-of-the-best distinction."
- UC San Diego Health is among the first five stroke centers in the nation to be awarded a Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification by the Joint Commission in 2012. UC San Diego Health is currently one of only two hospitals in San Diego and Imperial counties with this prestigious designation.
- UC San Diego is the only hospital in San Diego and Imperial counties that fully meets all five maternity care standards measured by the independent Leapfrog Hospital Survey: elective delivery rate, cesarean section rate, episiotomy rate, maternity care precaution standards, and high-risk deliveries.