The Leapfrog Group
The Leapfrog Hospital Survey
The Leapfrog Group is a coalition of public and private purchasers of employee health coverage founded in 2000 to work for improvements in health care safety, quality and affordability. The Leapfrog Group surveys more than 1,300 hospitals and assesses performance focusing on four critical areas:
- Using computer physician order entry (CPOE) to prevent medication errors
- Adhering to standards for doing high-risk procedures
- Following protocols and policies to reduce medical errors and other safe practices recommended by the National Quality Forum
- Adequate nurse and physician staffing
In addition, hospitals are measured on their progress in preventing infections and other hospital-acquired conditions and adopting policies on the handling of serious medical errors, among other things.
The Leapfrog Hospital Survey asks hospitals to report on the steps they take to improve patient care. Results of the survey for UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest and UC San Diego Thornton Hospital and Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center in La Jolla can be found by following the links below.
Individual category reports can also be accessed by the links on the left.
The Hospital Safety Score uses national performance measures from the following sources to produce a single score representing a hospital’s overall performance in keeping patients safe from preventable harm and medical errors:
- Leapfrog Hospital Survey
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
In 2013, UC San Diego Health System continues to receive “A” ratings from The Leapfrog Group’s Hospital Safety Score™ which represents its overall performance in keeping patients safe from preventable harm and medical errors. Learn more about the results of the survey for UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest and UC San Diego Thornton Hospital and Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center in La Jolla.
Consumers may validate these ratings, learn more about Leapfrog's scoring methodology and compare hospital ratings on Leapfrog's website, www.leapfroggroup.org