Resuscitation Program ART/BART
Visit the Resuscitation Program ART/BART page
to learn more about this program.
The Nurse Residency Program
The UC San Diego Nurse Residency Program is a learner-centered postgraduate experience designed to support the transition from student to professional and competent nurse. The purpose of UC San Diego’s Nurse Residency Program is to recruit and retain new graduate nurses via a thorough and high quality orientation experience. Residents receive support towards success that expands beyond their unit based orientation. In addition, new graduate nurses gain a better overall understanding of the organization and opportunities for further professional development. Participants benefit from classroom instruction, patient simulation activities, hands on skill training, mentoring, and much more.
The Nurse Residency Program’s framework is based on the ANCC’s Magnet Recognition Program and the five Model Components.
- Transformational Leadership – The new graduates will have the opportunity to meet and learn from organizational leaders with powerful visions, influential experiences, and clinical expertise related to professional nursing practice; leaders that are passionate and dedicated to supporting new graduate nurses in their transition to their role in the healthcare environment.
- Structural Empowerment – The Nurse Residency Program was developed to be in line with UC San Diego’s Mission and Vision as well as our core values of quality, caring, integrity, creativity, and teamwork. Courses aim to strengthen nursing practice and empower nurses to accomplish personal and professional goals.
- Exemplary Professional Practice – Based on Benner’s Theory of Novice to Expert, new graduates begin as Advanced Beginners in their transition from academia to clinical practice. The Nurse Residency Program assists the nurses along this continuum by education based on current trends in nursing education and by addressing diverse learning needs.
The UC San Diego Nurse Residency Program is developed and implemented by UC San Diego nurse leaders who are uniquely qualified to anticipate the needs of nurses working in their departments. These include Clinical Nurses as well as Clinical Nurse Educators/Clinical Nurse Specialists.
- New Knowledge, Innovation, and Improvements – The Nurse Residency Program is evaluated on an annual bases to stay abreast to changes in nursing education, health care, and workforce demographics.
- Empirical Quality Results – Retention of new graduates that have participated in the program is the outcome measure that is maintained to ensure program success. New graduate nurse satisfaction is also evaluated with each cohort. Outcomes are applied to curriculum modification and program quality improvement initiatives.
The Nurse Residency Program is only applicable to New Graduate Nurse Hires/UCSD employees. If you are a new graduate nurse looking for a place to grow, UC San Diego Health System is the place for you! Check out our new grad job openings at jobs.ucsd.edu.
If you have any questions about new grad job openings or the application process, please contact Brooks Crockett email@example.com or Alyssa Belcher firstname.lastname@example.org, UC San Diego Health System Nurse Recruiters. We hope to see you soon!