The 4th of July conjures up images of barbecues, picnics and fireworks; but while the summer holidays are lots of fun, they also can be hazardous.

poison control logo
Burn Safety and Poison Information Tips for the Summer and 4th of July
Burn Center logo

The following are some guidelines for preventing accidents, and what to do in case of emergency.

Sunburn

The UCSD Regional Burn Center will treat numerous children and adults with severe sunburns during the summer season. A person falling asleep at the beach, even if the weather is not extremely hot, doesn’t realize that severe sunburn can occur even on gloomy days due to the intensity of the ultraviolet rays. Additionally, sun reflected off the water is even more intense and can lead to more serious burns.

Avoid falling asleep at the beach and always apply sunscreen of 25 SPF or higher to prevent sunburn.

Grilling

Lighting the grill to cook hot dogs and hamburgers can turn into a tragedy if a toddler swallows charcoal lighter fluid, which can lead to serious poisoning.

If a child swallows lighter fluid, immediately wipe off any fluid on the exposed skin. It is important not to make the child vomit. Ipecac syrup should never be used for this particular poisoning emergency or when any petroleum distillate products, such as pine oil cleaners, furniture polishes or gasoline, are ingested.

If the child is coughing or has vomited, take the child to the nearest emergency room for a chest x-ray. Petroleum distillate charcoal lighter fluid can cause serious or potentially life-threatening chemical pneumonia. The substance can enter the lungs when the child tries to swallow or vomit. If a person, adult or child, has difficulty breathing after swallowing any poison, especially charcoal lighter fluid, call 911 immediately.

If you suspect that a child has swallowed a poison, call the California Poison Control System, San Diego Division, at UCSD Medical Center immediately. The 24-hour emergency number is 800-876-4766. The Poison Center staff evaluates each situation quickly and provides first aid information.

The incidence of children, as well as adults, stepping or falling on burning coals at the beach and bay has increased dramatically over the years. Kids hit the beach running and before they realize it they are walking or falling on hot coals buried under the sand. Parents should always keep a watchful eye on toddlers and children, and adults should be cautious of fire rings or fire pits and avoid these areas.

Hot coals buried in the sand can retain an intense heat for up to 24 hours. Anyone who walks for falls on the hot coals can be severely burned and a child can sustain life-threatening burns. Hot coals should always be disposed of in designated containers at the beach or bay.

A Safe Picnic

For a worry-free picnic, keep perishable food--ham, potato or macaroni salad, hamburgers, hot dogs, lunch meat, cooked beef or chicken, deviled eggs, custard or cream pies--in a cooler with ice. Put leftovers back in the cooler as soon as you finish eating.

Toddlers can choke trying to swallow many picnic foods whole such as hot dogs, hard-boiled eggs, or marshmallows. Cut hot dogs lengthwise in narrow strips before serving, slice up other foods into small bite-sized pieces, and keep children seated while they are eating.

When possible, store the cooler in the passenger area of the car during the trip home. It's cooler than the trunk.

Fireworks

Fireworks are illegal in San Diego County and extremely dangerous, especially those purchased in Mexico. Small fireworks called “poppers” can explode in a child’s pocket and set the child’s clothes on fire and result in serious burns.

Bee Stings--What To Do

Spending the day outside on the 4th of July puts anyone at risk of a bee sting. First aid for bee stings includes removing the bee's stinger by scraping it out with a fingernail or blunt edge of a knife. Do not squeeze the stung area; it can cause the stinger to release more venom. Wash the area well with soap and water. Immediately apply ice wrapped in a cloth for 10 to 15 minutes. (Remember that ice applied directly to the skin can cause damage to sensitive tissue.)

If an individual who is stung experiences difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, wheezing, swelling or itching eyes, or other symptoms of an allergic reaction, call 911 immediately. Fortunately, most bee stings are easily treatable and cause only minor discomfort.

Ocean Hazards

The San Diego Regional Poison Center receives many calls from beachgoers who report being stung by venomous marine animals such as jellyfish, scorpion fish or stingrays. The stinger should be removed and the wound washed with soap and water.

Hiking and Camping Hazards

In these warm months, many people head away from the beach and toward the hills for hiking, camping and other activities. But the hills and deserts are also home to rattlesnakes. Rattlesnakes account for 99 percent of human deaths from snake bites in the United States. Most bites occur when people handle the snakes or when they stick their hands down holes or under logs and touch one.

In some rattlesnake bites, no venom is injected into the wound, but because it is impossible to know if venom has or hasn't been injected, getting medical treatment quickly is important.

Administration of antivenin in a hospital is the most important treatment. Traditional first aid treatments -- applying ice, using a tourniquet, or applying suction to the wound -- have little value and may cause more injury.

If you are in a remote area when bitten by a rattler, first immobilize the wounded area, especially for a hand or arm bite, then proceed slowly to a vehicle. Moving slowly will keep the heart rate low and help prevent the venom from spreading. (If bitten on the leg or foot, you will have to use that limb to get to the vehicle, unless someone can carry you. In that case, it is very important to move slowly.) Drive to the nearest phone, call 911 and wait for assistance. If there is no phone nearby, proceed to the nearest hospital.

UCSD Regional Burn Center offers these 25 burn safety tips:

  1. Learn CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) and first aid.
  2. Prepare and practice exit drills. Learn "two ways out."
  3. Check electrical plugs and cords for dirt or fraying.
  4. Turn down your water heater to 120 degrees.
  5. Check smoke detectors every month and change the batteries twice a year.
  6. Store flammable liquids safely.
  7. Use sun block whenever you are in the sun.
  8. Use caution with hot automobile radiators.
  9. Supervise children near fireworks. Don't allow fireworks in the home an instead to to a professional display.
  10. Watch for hot tar and coals on the beach, and discard your own coals in a designated receptacle.
  11. Never leave a fire unattended.
  12. Never play games near a fire pit or campfire.
  13. Never use sand to extinguish a campfire. Sand insulates heat.
  14. Douse all campfires with water.
  15. Keep clothing irons and curling irons out of the reach of children.
  16. Keep children out of the kitchen when cooking.
  17. Keep hot liquids away from table and counter edges and turn pot handles in on the stove.
  18. Use caution when removing the wrapping or lids from microwaved or steamed food - steam causes serious burns.
  19. Don't pour hot liquids around children.
  20. Don't serve hot food or liquids from a pan with children sitting at the table.
  21. Do keep coffeepots, crock pots and deep fryers pushed to the back of the counter.
  22. Don't put ice on small burns. Use cool water, and in the event of a serious burn, immerse the affected area in a bath of cool water.
  23. Always discard smoking materials in a deep or wet receptacle.
  24. Keep matches out of reach of children.
  25. Never leave children alone, not even for "a quick trip to the neighbors."

Burn injuries can be serious and in case of a serious burn injury, call 911 for an emergency response.

# # #

Memorial Weekend Safety Tips     Burn Center News

Media Contact: Eileen Callahan - 619/543-6163

RETURN TO UCSD HEALTHBEAT