July 19, 2011
UC San Diego Health System Ranked Number One Adult Hospital in San Diego
US News & World Report ranks health system among best in nation
UC San Diego Health System ranks #1 among San Diego’s adult hospitals and among “America’s Best Hospitals” according to U.S. News & World Report’s “2011 - 2012 Best Hospitals” issue online today at www.usnews.com/besthospitals and available on newsstands August 30.
Rendering of the future UC San Diego Jacob's Medical Center, breaking ground in March 2012.
UC San Diego Health System is recognized in six categories: cancer, diabetes, nephrology, orthopedics, psychiatry and pulmonology, in the “2011 - 2012 Best Hospitals” issue. 140 facilities – fewer than three percent of the 4,825 facilities analyzed for this year’s “Best Hospitals” rankings – ranked in any specialty.
“To be recognized among the very best in the nation – as well as in our community – is an honor we have enjoyed for nearly two decades," said David Brenner, MD, vice chancellor for Health Sciences and dean of the School of Medicine at UC San Diego. “We take seriously our mission to provide the very best in health care and research, the kind only an academic health system can provide.”
“UC San Diego Health System is the one place in our region where patients from across the U.S. benefit from the integration of compassionate care and evidenced-based medicine in every interaction," said Tom Jackiewicz, CEO, UC San Diego Health System. “Our physicians, surgeons, scientists, nurses and staff come together as a team to treat the most difficult diseases, offering the most novel treatments and procedures and – where possible – lifesaving cures.”
The core mission of “Best Hospitals” is to help guide patients who need an especially high level of care because of a difficult surgery, a challenging condition, or added risk because of age or other health problems. “These are referral centers where other hospitals send their sickest patients,” said Avery Comarow, U.S. News & World Report Health Rankings Editor. “Hospitals like these are ones you or those close to you should consider when the stakes are high.”
The latest rankings showcase 720 hospitals out of about 5,000 hospitals nationwide. Each is ranked among the country’s top hospitals in at least one medical specialty and/or ranked among the best hospitals in its metro area.
“These are hospitals we call ‘high performers.’ They are fully capable of giving most patients first-rate care, even if they have serious conditions or need demanding procedures,” Comarow said. “Almost every major metro area has at least one of these hospitals.”
UC San Diego Health System includes two hospitals and multiple primary and specialty care outpatient centers in Hillcrest, La Jolla and Scripps Ranch. The 10-story, multi-specialty Jacobs Medical Center will break ground in March of 2012.
By the Numbers:
- Overall rankings: The 22nd annual to U.S. News & World Report rankings recognize hospitals in 94 metro areas and 16 specialties, which include: cancer; diabetes and endocrinology; ear, nose, and throat; gastroenterology; geriatrics; gynecology; cardiology and heart surgery; nephrology; neurology and neurosurgery; ophthalmology; orthopedics; psychiatry; pulmonology; rehabilitation; rheumatology; and urology. UC San Diego Health System rankings include:
- Pulmonology 16
- Psychiatry 19
- Diabetes & Endocrinology 25
- Nephrology 34
- Cancer 47
- Orthopedics 48
- High-performing: UC San Diego Health System is also ranked as “high-performing” in eight additional areas, including cardiology & heart surgery, ear, nose & throat, gastroenterology, geriatrics, gynecology, neurology & neurosurgery, rheumatology, and urology.
- In San Diego: UC San Diego Health System is the highest ranked adult hospital in six specialties.
- In Southern California: UC San Diego Health System is among the top five adult hospitals/health systems as ranked by U.S. News and World Report.
- In California: UC San Diego Health System is among the top six most ranked hospitals/ health systems.
To learn more about UC San Diego Medical Center’s rankings, please visit:
# # #
Media Contacts: Kim Edwards, 619-543-6163; Jackie Carr, 619-543-6163, email@example.com