Calling a Patient
- To contact a patient at UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest or at UC San Diego Thornton Hospital in La Jolla, call 858-657-7000 and ask for the patient by name.
Visiting a Patient
Checking the Status of a Patient
To check the status of an in-patient at either UC San Diego Medical Center or at UC San Diego Thornton Hospital, call the hospital operator: 858-657-7000
Members Of The Media
If you are a member of the media and need to check the status of an in-patient, please refer to our Media Guidelines, or call Health Sciences Communications at 619-543-6163.
Sending a Gift to a Patient
Reading materials, flowers, balloons, stamps, toiletries and gift items are all available at the Gift Shops located inside each hospital.
- At UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest, the Gift Shop is located on the first floor near the Information Desk in the main lobby. Call 619-543-5926.
- At UC San Diego Thornton Hospital in La Jolla, the Gift Shop is located on the first floor, in the main lobby. Call 858-657-6583
To send a gift from outside the hospital, please put the patient’s name along with the hospital’s name and address on the package:
- UC San Diego Thornton Hospital
9300 Campus Point Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037
- UC San Diego Medical Center
200 West Arbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92103
There are a variety of lodging options near both hospital locations. View more information on lodging near UC San Diego Health System.