About Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center
San Diego's First Dedicated Heart Center
As part of the only academic health system in San Diego, the Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center is a hub of discovery and innovation. When it opened in 2011, it became the only facility in San Diego providing all cardiovascular research, services and programs in one location. Learn more about the history and vision behind the center.
Our physicians and researchers are on the front lines of fighting heart and vascular diseases — at the patients’ bedsides, in the research lab, and in our community. The technologies, techniques and treatments we develop are setting standards in cardiac and stroke care.
Recognized as a Top Heart Hospital
We're proud of our exceptional record and numerous awards, including being named:
- One of 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs by Becker's Hospital Review
- Among the top 25 programs in the nation for cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery for 2014-15 by U.S. News & World Report
- One of the nation's 2013 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals by Truven Health Analytics
- A recipient of numerous Top Doc designations in San Diego Magazine's annual survey
To learn more about our awards or see details on our quality reports, see Quality Care.
Leading Experts Performing Highly Specialized Care
Our experts come from the fields of cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery, neurology, cardiac imaging, vascular surgery and numerous other specialties, which means we can collaborate to provide services available only at the top health systems in the nation. These include:
- Pulmonary thromboendarterectomy (PTE) – We have the highest success rate in the world for PTE, a complicated surgery that removes lethal blood clots from pulmonary arteries to restore blood flow to the lungs.
- Off-pump coronary artery bypass (OPCAB) – Our specialists routinely perform this delicate “beating heart surgery,” which circumvents the need for a heart/lung machine, dramatically reduces complications and speeds recovery time.
- Minimally invasive valve replacement – We have extensive experience in this new minimally invasive procedure that uses a catheter threaded through the arteries, rather than open heart surgery, to replace damaged heart valves.
- High-volume interventional cardiology – We perform more than 2,500 of these lifesaving cardiovascular procedures every year, including stent placement, atherectomy, angioplasty and repair of congenital heart defects.
- Hybrid operating rooms – Our state-of-the-art surgical suites enable surgeons to move seamlessly between minimally invasive, open and endovascular procedures without needing to move the patient.
- Preventive medicine – Using the most advanced diagnostic equipment, including cardiac MRI and high definition cardiac CT scanning, we are able to detect cardiovascular disease in its earliest stages and create effective prevention and treatment plans.