Research and Clinical Trials
The faculty in the Division of Gastroenterology is engaged in research efforts that are shaping the way gastrointestinal disease is treated across the country.
physician-scientists are active in numerous research projects and clinical studies. For example, our gastroenterologists are examining:
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) biobanking to identify fundamental mechanisms underlying IBD, to evaluate novel therapies and to improve care. Read about our IBD research.
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NASH). Read about our liver research
- Complications of cirrhosis and liver transplantation
- New ways to alleviate pain associated with esophageal motility disorders. Read about our GI motility research.
- Post-liver transplantation immunosuppression and recurrence of hepatitis C
- Hepatitis B virus epidemiology
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration for diagnosing lung cancer and pancreatic masses, and for placing metal markers into tumors to allow for stereotactic radiosurgery
- Advances in the treatment of celiac disease
- Use of capsule endoscopy instead of upper endoscopy prior to bariatric surgery
- Combined endoscopic and laparoscopic procedures to treat acute esophageal perforations, gastrointestinal stromal cell tumors (GISTs)
- Laparoscopic-assisted endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) in patients with prior Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
- Pelvic floor disorders and how they affect fecal incontinence and constipation
View abstracts of scientific articles written by UC San Diego Health System’s gastroenterologists.
UC San Diego Health System Research Laboratories
Clinical trials are highly regulated health-related research studies that move advances in the treatment of disease forward into clinical practice. They offer people the chance to receive newly developed therapies and provide crucial information for improving care. The Division of Gastroenterology is currently conducting clinical trials related to a broad spectrum of gastrointestinal diseases and conditions. Find clinical trials at UC San Diego Health System that are currently seeking participants.
For clinical trials related to Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis go to IBD Clinical Trials.