Directed by Alexander Kuo, MD, the Liver Center at UC San Diego Health System is the region's leader in the treatment of acute and chronic liver diseases. We provide expert, innovative care for all forms of liver disease and cancer and operate comprehensive clinics throughout the region. See our Liver Center Locations.
Our areas of expertise include:
UC San Diego Health System liver cancer specialists are dedicated to providing the most advanced treatment options for liver cancers including:
- Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) and other primary cancers of the liver, gallbladder and bile ducts
- Cancers that have metastasized to the liver from other areas of the body
Dr. Alexander Kuo talks about treatment and clinical trials for hepatitis C. U-T San Diego
Recognizing the challenges of living with liver disease, the Liver Center team works with you to stop the progression of your condition:
- Viral hepatitis
- Autoimmune liver disorders
- Fatty liver disease (NAFLD and NASH)
- End-stage liver disease
- Alcoholic liver disease
- Drug-induced liver injury (i.e. acetaminophen overdose)
- Inherited liver disorders
UC San Diego Health System’s Liver Transplant Program is a UNOS/OPTN-approved living donor transplant center. We have extensive expertise in transplant procedures including:
- Deceased donor: Donor liver comes from a deceased donor who is diagnosed as “brain dead,” but whose other organs are functioning.
- Living donor: The liver for transplant comes from a living donor, such as a family member or close friend, who donates a portion of his or her liver.
- Split liver transplant: A split transplant is a procedure in which a deceased donor’s liver is divided and used for two transplant recipients.
- Domino liver transplant: A domino transplant involves transplanting a living or deceased donor liver into one recipient, and then using that recipient’s original liver for transplantation into another recipient.
Contact the Liver Center
UC San Diego Health System Links
School of Medicine Links
Liver Disease Research Studies
Discover clinical trials in liver disease.