The Hemophilia and Thrombosis Treatment Center has cared for patients with hemophilia since its founding in 1989. It later became one of approximately 130 federally funded Hemophilia Treatment Centers, with a mandate to reach out to all patients with hemophilia and other bleeding disorders in the community in order to improve and specialize their care, as well as to ensure and afford access to life-saving clotting factors.
The federal mandate and oversight provide the center with a “low cost – high efficiency” clotting factor program that each patient can join. The proceeds of this program, called Total Hemophilia Care, come back to support and advance services for patients with hemophilia and bleeding disorders.
Our mission is to provide state-of-the art care to our patients with a team of specialized and highly trained physicians, nurses, physical therapists and social workers. This includes:
- Access to and appropriate use of clotting factors
- All-around medical care focused on the needs of adult and aging patients with hemophilia, including care for hemophilic arthropathy, osteoporosis, cancer and cardiovascular disease. In addition, the center works closely with the Owen Clinic and the Liver Center to ensure that patients with hemophilia and HIV and/or hepatitis B and C virus receive appropriate treatment.
- State-of the-art research for the hemophilia community, with opportunities to participate in clinical trials studying new long-lasting clotting factor products, bypassing agents for patients with inhibitors, as well as studying joint disease and cardiovascular disease in hemophilia. This effort has the ultimate goal to create new knowledge for patients with hemophilia, advance the field and improve care paradigms.
- Rady Children's Hospital San Diego: Our partnering center for transition of care from childhood to adult is the Hemophilia/Thrombosis program at Rady Children’s Hospital.
- Los Angeles Orthopedic Hospital : Our partnering center for orthopedic joint evaluations and interventions is the orthopedic hemophilia program at Los Angeles Orthopedic Hospital.
- Other important resources and information for patients with hemophilia:
Why Choose UC San Diego?
Our Center is part of the UC San Diego Health System, which has been ranked in the annual U.S. News & World Report‘s “Best Hospitals” issue for the last 17 years and is the region’s only adult hospital consistently ranked among the best in multiple specialties.
In 2010, UC San Diego Health System and its Clinical and Translational Research Institute (CTRI) partners received a $37.2 million Clinical and Translational Science Award grant to speed up the development of laboratory discoveries into effective treatments for patients.
Our physicians are consistently named by their peers at the San Diego County Medical Society as “Top Doctors” in San Diego Magazine’s “Physicians of Exceptional Excellence” annual survey.
With a broad, multidisciplinary team of clinical and scientific experts with an interest in hemophilia and bleeding disorders, our treatment center is in a unique position to apply the power of academic medicine for our patients.