Patients with a brain hemorrhage or stroke have better outcomes with lower procedural complications in a comprehensive stroke center than at other hospitals.
While there are over 900 primary stroke centers in the nation, there are only a handful of comprehensive stroke centers. UC San Diego Medical Center is one of the first five certified comprehensive stroke centers in the nation.
A comprehensive stroke center is a hospital that has specific abilities to
receive and treat the most complex stroke cases. The certification recognizes the significant resources in infrastructure, staff and training necessary to provide state-of-the-art complex stroke care. Meeting the standards to achieve this certification reflects UC San Diego’s commitment to providing and developing the highest quality stroke care.
9 Reasons to Choose UC San Diego Health For Stroke
- Patients who are admitted to UC San Diego Health for stroke are cared for by neurologists who are specialists in stroke.
- We're staffed by a multidisciplinary team of experts including neurologists, neurointensivists, neurosurgeons, cardiologists and rehabilitation therapists, 24/7/365 with rigorous response times.
- We have a dedicated neuro-intensive care unit for neuro-critical care for complex stroke patients.
- We have a complete sub-specialty of neurovascular and endovascular surgeons for the treatment of aneurysms, AVMs and other causes of hemorrhagic stroke.
- Our team can restore blood flow to the brain with leading-edge catheter devices for blockages of major brain arteries in the most severe strokes.
- Beyond interrupting the initial stroke, our team of experts can determine the underlying cause of stroke and undertake secondary prevention with the following:
Surgical clipping procedures We use highly advanced diagnostic and treatment technologies to provide tailored therapy for each individual patient. We exceed intravenous tPA administration rates in all eligible patients. We conduct ongoing clinical trials to improve and advance stroke treatment and prevention.
You're In Good Hands
The capability of our stroke center extends beyond the classic stroke patient. Stroke remains the most feared complication of a broad range of other medical interventions. When you undergo any surgery, your risk of stroke is significantly increased. Comprehensive Stroke Center certification offers a safety net for complex forms of medical care.