Maternal Mental Health
- La Jolla Outpatient Psyciatric Services: 858-534-8730
- Perlman Medical Offices, La Jolla: 858-657-8745
- Meet our team
Depression screening test
Do you need help? If you are experiencing any of the symptoms to the left, you are not alone. There are safe, effective treatments that can help you enjoy this stage of your life.
Blue dots raise awareness
Sticker campaign offers comforting message. Read the U-T San Diego article.
Depression during pregnancy
Prenatal depression isn't as well known as postpartum depression, but it is real. Read Dr. Katie Hirst's Q&A in the UT San Diego.
Can men experience postpartum depression or anxiety?
Dr. Hirst answers questions about baby blues for new dads.
Many women believe that motherhood should be the happiest time of a woman’s life. However, one in eight women has symptoms of depression or anxiety during pregnancy or after childbirth. UC San Diego's Maternal Mental Health Clinic was created in 2007 to address the mental health needs of women and provides comprehensive care for depression, anxiety and other emotional concerns.
Common symptoms of anxiety or depression
- Sad mood
- Frequent crying
- Guilt over not enjoying time with your infant
- Feeling overwhelmed by the demands of motherhood
- Frequent worry about seemingly little things
- Inability to make decisions
- Disturbing images of harm coming to your child
Specific areas of focus
- Preconception planning
- Pregnancy and postpartum depression
- Pregnancy loss and infertility
- Premenstrual mood disorders
We use a variety of techniques to help women recover from anxiety or depression during infertility, pregnancy, or the postpartum period. We discuss the risks and benefits of each treatment, and work closely with your other physicians and healthcare providers to coordinate your care. We offer:
- Single-visit consultations
- Ongoing medication management or psychotherapy
- A unique four-week, intensive outpatient program that uses a variety of group and individual approaches, including cognitive behavior therapy, mindfulness techniques, dialectical behaviour therapy, art therapy and peer support. It is the first program of its kind in the Southwestern United states and the only one to provide childcare and concurrent treatment for children.
Common questions we address
- Is it safe to keep taking my medication during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
- What is my risk for postpartum depression or anxiety, and how can I prevent it?
- How can I manage my depression or anxiety without medication?
- How do I cope with infertility or pregnancy loss?
- What can I do about mood swings or irritability around my period?
Schedule a consultation
UC San Diego Outpatient Psychiatric Services
8950 Villa La Jolla Drive, Suite C-207
La Jolla, CA 92103
Call 858-534-8730 to schedule a consultation.
Perlman Medical Offices
9350 Campus Point Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037
Call 858-657-8745 to schedule a consultation.