If you’re pregnant with twins, triplets, or higher-order multiples, our team of specialists wants to optimize the outcomes for both you and your baby. For appointments, patients who are new to UC San Diego, call 800-926-8273. Referring providers, please call 619-543-5400.
Women pregnant with multiples need comprehensive, specialized care. UC San Diego’s program offers:
- Complete and personalized prenatal care throughout your pregnancy, with perinatologists who specialize in treating multiple pregnancies
- Frequent ultrasounds, and nonstress testing at end of pregnancy
- Surveillance for complications such as hypertension and preeclampsia, and prompt intervention and coordinated care if complications do exist
- Delivery planning, and on-site Level III NICU for peace of mind at delivery
- Multiples support group (see below for more information)
About Multiple Pregnancies
Women who are pregnant with multiples need special care. While most multiple pregnancies result in healthy babies, possible complications during pregnancy include preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, and placental issues. Twins and triplets can also be at increased risk for complications, including preterm birth. Working with a specialist can decrease the risk of complications, and make it more likely to carry your babies to term.
Multiples Support Group
Our program offers the Multiples Mentoring Program, with meetings on the fourth Monday of the month, 6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m. at Thornton Hospital, SDG&E Conference Room, 3rd Floor 3-102. Meetings vary from open discussions to guest speakers. For more information, contact Corey Anaka, multiples program coordinator.
Appointments and Referrals
Patients who are new to UC San Diego, call 800-926-8273. Referring providers, please call 619-543-5400.