Lung Volume Reduction Surgery
The Lung Volume Reduction Surgery program originated from UCSD's participation in the National Emphysema Treatment Trial, which evaluated lung volume reduction surgery in patients with advanced emphysema.
As one of 17 centers chosen for the trial, and the only one in California, the National Emphysema Treatment Trial demonstrated that a small portion of patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) could benefit from lung volume reduction surgery.
About Lung Volume Reduction Surgery
- Goals of Lung Volume Reduction Surgery
- Increase the elasticity of the lung
- Decrease the lung to a more normal size
- Enable the patient to breathe deeply once again
- Surgery Targets Most Damaged Areas in the Lungs
- Once the damaged tissue is removed, the over expanded lung is reduced to a more normal size.
- Once again there should be more room to breathe
Advanced Lung Disease Program
200 West Arbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92103-8373