About the Adult Cystic Fibrosis Clinic
The UC San Diego Adult Cystic Fibrosis Clinic treats approximately 200 adults with cystic fibrosis (CF) from San Diego County and surrounding areas.
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Accreditation
We are the region’s only Cystic Fibrosis Foundation-accredited care center, which means we meet strict guidelines to receive the foundation’s “stamp of approval” every year. Because CF is a complex disease that affects so many parts of the body, proper care requires specialized knowledge. Foundation-accredited care centers offer the best care, treatments, and support for those with CF.
We are identifying and researching solutions to problems that are specific to adults with CF — both medical and quality-of-life issues. The center is also developing a network of resources to assist our patients.
Health and life issues important to our patients include:
- Diabetes: As the rate of cystic fibrosis-related diabetes grows, we want to improve identification of early-stage disease and provide state-of-the art treatment.
- Osteoporosis: This is a common complication for adults with CF as a result of chronic malabsorption of Vitamin D, use of steroids, or endocrine-related problems.
- Reproductive issues: We provide resources and referrals for contraception, fertility procedures (both male and female), and genetic counseling. We also work with the Teratogen Registry to identify high-risk medications and ensure a healthy pregnancy.
- Mental health: Depression is common in persons who live with chronic illness, and life issues can be complex for adults with CF. Every effort is made to identify depression and counsel patients during the course of their treatment.
- Quality of life: We monitor different types of treatments and their effects on patients.
- Financial: We provide assistance with medical insurance, disability options and advocacy for patients in the workplace.
- Education: We provide patient education on a variety of issues, including intimacy in relationships, transplants, insurance, and durable power of attorney.