Clinical Trials: Adult Cystic Fibrosis Clinic
The UC San Diego Cystic Fibrosis Clinic is actively involved in nationwide clinical trials of therapeutic agents, as well as several local investigations.
Ongoing and Upcoming Research
- Vertex 809-105 trial: This is a long-term rollover study using Ivacaftor + Lumacaftor in patients who have a copy of the F508del-CFTR mutation. Patients in this trial rolled over from Vertex 809-102 and Vertex 809-103 (see below) and will complete a two-year treatment course.
- Cystic Fibrosis Fibrosing Colonopathy study: This is a 10-year observational study that aims to identify risk factors associated with the development of fibrosing colonopathy.
- MRI study: This study uses an MRI protocol to estimate the extent of cystic fibrosis lung disease, including changes during periods of acute exacerbation and relative stability.
- Sputum studies: These multiple ongoing studies look at the metagenomics and proteomics of sputum samples in cystic fibrosis patients, with the aim of gaining better insight into the complex interactions of the bacterial species present.
- Upcoming: Vertex 661 trial for patients with a copy of F508del-CFTR mutation
Recently Completed Trials
- Vertex 809-102: Compared Ivacaftor + Lumacaftor vs. placebo in patients heterozygous for the F508del-CFTR mutation.
- Vertex 809-103: Compared Ivacaftor + Lumacaftor vs. placebo in patients homozygous for the F508del-CFTR mutation.
- Continuous Alternating Therapy (CAT) trial: Compared inhaled tobramycin (TOBI) every other month vs. alternating monthly therapy with TOBI and aztreonam (Cayston).
- MPEX-207: Compared inhaled Levofloxacin vs. placebo over 28 days.
- MPEX-209: Compared inhaled Levofloxacin vs. inhaled Tobramycin, used every other month, over a three-month period.
We are always searching for new therapeutic trials to improve the lives of our cystic fibrosis patients. To learn more about ongoing clinical trials, contact our clinic or search for a trial at the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.