If you are considering applying as a UC San Diego Health volunteer, you will need to:
- Be at least age 16 and older
- Be available to start immediately
- Commit to a minimum of 100 hours of service over a six to seven month period
- Be able to attend the
Competencies of Successful Volunteers
- Good communication skills in English
- Self-starter who needs minimal supervision
- Good listening skills and ability to follow instructions
- Dependable and flexible
- Positive and professional attitude
- Physical ability to perform tasks of assigned work area
Apply for and attend orientation.
See more details.
- Complete tuberculosis screening. Provide written verification for immunity to mumps, measles, rubella and chickenpox (varicella). This is done by a blood draw or verification of vaccinations on an immunization record.
- Complete Organizational Orientation Curriculum (online training)
- Have a placement interview.
- Purchase a uniform ($20). Volunteers should be easily recognizable by staff and patients. A standard uniform and hospital ID badge ensure immediate identification. Volunteers should maintain clean uniforms and shoes, present a well-groomed image, and show courteous manners. Uniform includes clean white or khaki (tan) pants with uniform top and closed toe/rubber-soled shoes.
- Obtain an ID badge ($10 to replace if forgotten or lost)
- Attend department training