UC San Diego Health Achieves ANCC Magnet® Recognition for Nursing Excellence.
UC San Diego Health has joined a prestigious list of healthcare organizations that have been recognized as part of the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program®, which recognizes superior quality in nursing care.
ANCC conducts thorough evaluations of hospitals seeking recognition, judging proficiency and leadership in the following five key areas that are considered global issues in nursing and healthcare:
- Visionary leadership transforming the organization to meet changing needs
- Empowered staff properly prepared to face all challenges
- Competent, dedicated, and skilled nurses
- Continued innovation within staff knowledge, clinical practice, and systemic improvements
- Outcomes measurement systems in place throughout the entire organization
To achieve Magnet recognition, organizations must pass a rigorous and lengthy process that demands widespread participation from leadership and staff. The process begins with the submission of an electronic application, followed by written documentation demonstrating qualitative and quantitative evidence regarding patient care and outcomes. If scores from the written documentation fall within a range of excellence, an on-site visit will occur to thoroughly assess the applicant. After this rigorous on-site review process, the Commission on Magnet will review the completed appraisal report and vote to determine whether Magnet recognition will be granted.
Currently, only 6% out of nearly 6,000 U.S. healthcare organizations have achieved Magnet recognition.