UC San Diego Health’s Maternal Weight and Wellness Program is one of only a few in the nation to provide complete care for overweight women before, during, and after pregnancy. We specialize in caring for women who have had bariatric surgery or who have a BMI of 35 or greater.
- Preconception counseling for women considering becoming pregnant
- Complete and personalized prenatal care throughout your pregnancy with Dr. Yvette LaCoursiere, who specializes in the risks and challenges of pregnancy and obesity
- Nutrition counseling
- Weight gain management
- Physical activity support
- Specialized fetal imaging
- Surveillance for complications, such as diabetes, hypertension, and preeclampsia
- Prompt intervention and coordinated care, if complications do exist
- Delivery planning with anesthesia consultation
- Breastfeeding support
- Post-pregnancy care to encourage a continued healthy lifestyle
- Co-management with our Bariatric and Metabolic Institute for medical or surgical management
- Screening and treatment for mood and anxiety disorders during and after pregnancy
Our Mission Statement
To create a multidisciplinary evidence-based program that is a leader in compassionate obstetric care for obese and post-bariatric surgery patients, recognized by the community as a resource for services and education and by the nation for outcomes research.
Why Choose Us?
The Maternal Weight and Wellness Program is part of UC San Diego Health, which ranked first in San Diego in U.S. News & World Report’s 2011 Best Hospitals metro rankings. You will benefit from our high-quality, personalized care, integrated services and innovative technology.
Our team of dedicated clinical specialists can address all of your weight and wellness needs, and help to reduce your risk of some of the possible complications of pregnancy caused by being overweight. We have extensive clinical and research experience in this field.
We understand the challenges you face. We can offer you both educational and motivational tools to help you develop a healthy lifestyle, focusing on nutrition and regular physical activity to achieve a healthy pregnancy and delivery. You can contact us directly, or referrals to our program can be made by your health care provider for a single visit or for integrated care.