Your maternity care may be overseen by a perinatologist if there is a condition that puts you, your baby, or both of you at higher-than-normal risk for complications during pregnancy or during or after birth.
You may be a high-risk pregnancy patient if you have one of these conditions:
- Pregnancy with twins or other multiples
- Personal or family history of birth defects
- Personal or family history of uterine or placental abnormalities
- History of complications with prior pregnancies
- Pregnancy with fetal growth issues or abnormalities
- Pregnancy with placental issues
- High blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, or an auto-immune disorder
- Recurrent miscarriage or pregnancy loss
- Possibility of pre-term delivery
Why Choose UC San Diego Health?
UC San Diego Health has board-certified, nationally known experts ready to help with the most complex of pregnancies. We offer comprehensive pregnancy management, or the services you need, including pregnancy consultations, ultrasounds, fetal diagnosis, genetic testing, or counseling. View all services.
We offer appointments in seven convenient locations around San Diego County, depending on the type of service you need. For more information, Contact Us.