Important Information for Patients with Anthem Blue Cross Health Insurance Plans
Anthem has terminated its agreement with UC Health, including UC San Diego Health, jeopardizing in-network access to care for millions of Californians. If a new agreement is not in place by December 31, 2023, UC San Diego Health will be considered out-of-network beginning January 1, 2024, for the following Anthem covered patients:
- Patients who selected an Anthem plan through the California Public Employees’ Retirement System
- Commercially insured patients, including those with employer-sponsored health plans and those who purchased an Anthem plan on the ACA Health Insurance Marketplace
- Patients with Medicare Advantage plans administered by Anthem
- Patients with Medi-Cal (managed Medicaid) plans administered by Anthem
UC San Diego Health faculty, employees and UC San Diego students have a separate agreement with Anthem. This contract is not impacted by Anthem’s decision to cancel its contract with UC Health. Anthem’s termination impacts the Anthem beneficiaries above.
What Does This Mean?
If UC San Diego Health is excluded from Anthem’s network beginning on January 1, 2024, patients with Anthem health plans could face significantly higher out-of-pocket expenses – or even find that Anthem will no longer cover their health care costs through UC San Diego Health at all.
You can still see your doctor and get treatments at UC San Diego Health until December 31, 2023, without any changes. You are important to us, and we look forward to continuing to serve you with exceptional care.
What Are We Doing?
In the months ahead, we will negotiate with Anthem in an effort to secure a new agreement before the end of the year. A new agreement would allow you to continue to receive health care from us without interruptions or added costs. As a trusted local care provider, we have a responsibility to ensure we are in the best position to provide high-quality care to our patients and community members. UC San Diego Health needs a fair agreement with Anthem to maintain the standard of care you rely on. We are urging Anthem to protect the care you deserve.
What Can You Do?
Although nothing is changing before January 1, 2024, you can look for an alternate plan during your open enrollment period to ensure you can continue to access care from UC San Diego Health and avoid potentially increased co-pays and disruptions in 2024:
- The CalPERS open enrollment period runs from September 18 through October 13, 2023. You can use this time to evaluate other plan options.
- If you are a patient with a Medicare Advantage, Medi-Cal, or Exchange plan, you may choose to consider your options during your open enrollment period beginning October 15.
- People who purchase their health plan through Covered California can review plan choices during open enrollment from November 1 through January 31.
- Anthem patients who get their insurance from their employer typically have open enrollment periods in the fall during which they can review health plan options.
UC San Diego Health is in network with the following health insurance plans for the 2024 benefit year: