Scope of Service/Type of Patients:
We hope to touch people’s lives through compassionate state of the
art care. We recognize the value of every person and we are guided by
our commitment to nursing excellence and healthcare leadership while
maintaining a patient and family centered outlook.
The Progressive Care Units at UC San Diego Health are
at the forefront of high quality patient care and service. It is a
unique unit that advocates for patient safety and satisfaction through
transformational leadership, innovation, and empowerment of the
These units serves as a stepping stones for those patients who
are well enough to leave the ICU, but may still require closer
monitoring than that provided on our Medical/Surgical or Telemetry
units. We care for a wide variety of patient populations, including but
not limited to: IMU, Tele, and medical surgical patients catering to orthopedics, transplant and general surgery.
Hillcrest: 11th Floor
Number of Beds:
- 36 (20 on 11 East and 16 on 11 West)
CCRN, PCCN, ONC, and CMSRN are preferred certifications.
- PCU class series, transplant class
- ART classes
- EKG classes
- Quarterly skills training
- Nursing Externship Program
- New Graduate Residency Program
- New Grad hires precept with experiences nurses for 12 weeks based on progression
Who We Are
Welcome to the 11th floor surgical PCU in Hillcrest. This is a brand new unit from the merging of 11 East IMU and 11 West MEd Surg transplant December 2016. This unit serves three various levels of care: IMU, Telemetry and medical surgical. Located in the heart of downtown Hillcrest, the unit features spacious private rooms and provides care to all types of simple to complicated medical surgical cases such as kidney and liver transplant, neurosurgery, cardiac catheterization, gall bladder removal, delicate and specialized cancer surgeries, joint patients and complex reconstructive surgery. Nurse to patient ration varies from 1:3 on IMU and 1:$ on medical surgical transplant patients and 1:5 on general medical surgical cases. We establish close collaboration with physicians, case managers, social workers, dietary, pharmacists and rehab staff to coordinate full range of patient care. We have a diverse group of 90 career staff, per diems, travelers and registry.
This unit is still in its forming stage of hiring a team of dedicated , empowered and committed staff. Unit features:
- 22 new career hires
- 19 nurses are in graduate school for nursing (NP, MSN, PhD)
- 22 certified nurses
- 17 unit champions representing different committees (unit and hospital wide)
- Management team has MSN (two are currently in school), 3 staff nurses have MSN
- High rate of BSN (84%)
- 11 med surg nurses were cross trained for IMU level of care
- Newly remodeled 11 East staff lounge
- Active unit based practice council
- 5 Clinical Nurse III's
- 2 staff working on the Frontline Leadership Academy
- 10 quality student nurse externs per semester
CA RN license, ART/BART certification, 1 year of recent RN experience in an acute care setting. Ideal candidates are those nurses who put patients and their families
at the center of the health care team. We are looking for nurses that
exhibit compassion, caring, a commitment to quality evidence based
outcomes, and a genuine smile.
Nurses with experience in critical care and/or progressive care, and
have supporting documentation regarding their competencies and skills
are encouraged to apply.