Join an internationally recognized Baby-Friendly facility.
UC San Diego Medical Center offers a one-of-a-kind, full-service obstetrical program. We received prestigious international recognition as a Baby-Friendly facility, joining the 52 U.S. hospitals to achieve this notable status, and are the second in San Diego to receive the designation.
We offer the widest range of practice opportunities, from birthing centers to the NICU, taking care of mothers and their babies through pre- and postpartum, including when they are sick and hospitalized.
Learn about Obstetrics services at UC San Diego Medical Center
Take a 360-degree virtual tour of the following birthing facilities at UC San Diego Medical Center
Scope of Service
- The Low-Risk Birth Center offers a unique, homelike environment where women and their families experience birth in a non-interventional setting. Facilities include five spacious birthing suites with double and queen sized beds and rocking chairs, as well as a family room, a play area for children, and a patient resource library.
- Techniques such as hydrotherapy, birthing balls and stools, massage, walking breathing are employed. We are also the only San Diego hospital to offer a large volunteer Doula Program.
- In recognition of our accomplishments, the San Diego City council recently honored us with their “Making a Change in Healthcare” award.
- Patients are just minutes away from the latest technology and state-of-the art obstetrical/neonatal units if needed.
- Our remodeled Labor & Delivery unit includes delivery and recovery rooms and state-of-the-art surgical suites for Caesarean deliveries. We have our own triage and recovery room area. We are the only hospital in San Diego to have both the L&D Services and a Regional NICU within feet of each other. Regardless of whether care is provided at The Birth Center or the L&D Unit, mothers can be cared for by nurse-midwife throughout her delivery and postpartum period.
- The Level III OB Perinatal Center has a new Fetal Surgery Program and a High Risk Antepartum/Postpartum Unit that manages unique medical or obstetrical complicated patients.
- After delivery, mothers travel to the Family Maternity Care Unit to continue their transition to motherhood in an environment that encourages couplet care. Even the late preterm newborn will bond with their mother in our “baby friendly” designated hospital environment.
We require a CA RN license, NRP, BCLS, and fetal monitoring certification. BSN with two years experience preferred. Nurses who do well in our environment are self directed, with a passion for nursing, and demonstrated leadership skills in their life.
Individual Training Programs
UC San Diego Health provides a 4-month orientation for new grads and a strong mentorship program twice a year. This is also available to experienced nurses who want to improve their skills or change careers.
You will join a team of internationally recognized health care professionals, including nurses with advanced training in neonatal nursing and respiratory therapists and technicians who are experts in infant care. As the only academic medical center in San Diego, we offer a teaching and research environment unequalled in continuing educational opportunities.
If you’d like to apply your skills at a place where you can truly make a difference in a family’s life, we’d like to talk with you. View our current job openings and submit your resume online.