Our infectious disease specialists offer expert consultations and treatment for infections or diseases caused by viruses, bacteria, fungi and parasites.
Most of our services require a referral from another physician, typically a person's primary care provider.
Infectious Diseases Treated
HIV/AIDS at the Owen Clinic
- Infections of the sinuses, heart, brain, lungs, gastrointestinal system, urinary tract, pelvic organs and bones
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections
- Mosquito-borne diseases such as malaria
- Consultative referrals from other physicians
- Outpatient parenteral (non-oral) antibiotic therapy (OPAT), including at-home care for patients needing intravenous (IV) antibiotic therapy for serious infections
- Physician-referred tropical medicine
- Travel medicine, pre-trip inoculations and prescriptions for travelers who may be exposed to infectious diseases such as malaria (patient is responsible for submitting to insurance for any reimbursements)
- Post-surgical orthopedic infection consultation and treatment
Video: Building a Defense Against Zika
Infectious disease specialist Dr. Robert Schooley discusses UC San Diego research to understand and protect people from the Zika virus.