UC San Diego Health System and the UC San Diego School of Medicine AIDS Research Institute support a number of clinical and research programs for people living with AIDS or HIV, including:
- Owen Clinic, an HIV/AIDS outpatient treatment center that incorporates many disciplines and referrals to programs and facilities that specialize in treating HIV-positive persons.
- Early Intervention and Bridge Programs, available for people who have recently been diagnosed with HIV and are in need of medical treatment.
- Lead the Way, a project to encourage voluntary HIV testing among residents living in the 92103 and 92104 zip codes or ask them to complete a brief survey if they choose not to obtain a test.
- VA San Diego Healthcare System, which offers a Special Infectious Disease (SPID) Clinic for military veterans and their families who are affected by HIV.
- The Early Test program for quick HIV testing and results is available in the community and through the AntiViral Research Center.
- The San Diego AIDS Education and Training Center (AETC) is based at UC San Diego's Owen Clinic. This program offers "mini-residencies" to physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, and registered nurses who wish to learn improved strategies in caring for HIV-positive persons.
- HIV Neurobehavioral Research Center, which conducts local, national and international research devoted to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of HIV-related diseases as they affect the brain and nervous system, and result in impairment of everyday functioning.
- Mother, Child & Adolescent HIV Program provides comprehensive HIV care to pregnant women, children, teens and mothers. A multidisciplinary team of HIV specialists provides medical care, clinical trials, patient education, counseling, case management and community education.
“The 30+ Years War” - Discoveries Magazine
Since the start of the HIV/AIDS epidemic, our doctors and researchers have been on the front lines, striving to understand how to defeat it. While we’ve made significant progress, the fight continues ... read more.
Features Jamila Stockman, PhD, MPH, Anita Raj, PhD, and Elizabeth Reed, ScD, MPH
Features Gene Yeo, PhD, and Alysson Muotri, PhD
Features David Wyles, MD
Features Tariq Rana, PhD