The UC San Diego Health Regional Burn Center suffered a great loss with the unexpected death of John F. Hansbrough, MD, professor of surgery and director of the center on On March 7, 2001.
Dr. Hansbrough – widely regarded as one of the world's leading authorities in burn care and research – was perhaps best known for his work in developing synthetic and cultured skin for burn patients.
In recognition of and appreciation for his significant service over 17 years, the medical students and fellows of the UC San Diego School of Medicine, along with the staff and patients of the burn center, established a memorial fund endowment in his name.
The John F. Hansbrough, MD, Memorial Fund Endowment:
- Provides an annual lecture series in Dr. Hansbrough's honor at UC San Diego School of Medicine
- Promotes continuing advances at UC San Diego Health in burn care, tissue research and treatment
- Promotes education in burn care protocols by UC San Diego Health medical staff, UC San Diego School of Medicine students and fellows
- Promotes greater community awareness of home and work place safety guarding against burn injury
- Promotes education for new parents in burn safety issues with children