Our multidisciplinary Prostate Cancer Clinic brings some of the best prostate cancer doctors in San Diego County to one location, so men can conveniently and quickly access the specialized care they need.
This unique clinic focuses on improving the prognosis and quality of life for men with aggressive or advanced
prostate cancer. Our team-based approach offers the highest level of personalized care at
San Diego’s only federally designated comprehensive cancer center.
Among the benefits of our clinic, our patients can:
- Discuss treatment options with three cancer specialists — a medical oncologist, urologic surgeon and radiation oncologist — during a single visit
- Receive a balanced view of treatment options with quality-of-life considerations incorporated into your care plan
- Receive tests and treatments that meet the highest standards of cancer care, including genetic and molecular evaluations to further personalize care
- Have faster and more convenient access to cancer care through all stages of treatment
- Access the most-promising, new prostate cancer treatment through participation in a clinical trial
Prostate Cancer Clinic Specialists
Each patient's care team draws on the expertise of doctors who specialize in urologic and prostate cancers:
Who Is Eligible for the Clinic?
Dr. J. Kellogg Parson describes how the Prostate Cancer Clinic sets the standard for prostate cancer care in San Diego.
This unique clinic is designed for men with aggressive or advanced prostate cancer who want to know, and receive guidance on, all of their treatment choices. Our patients often have:
- Newly diagnosed prostate cancer that is, or has the potential to become, aggressive
- Locally advanced prostate cancer (cancer that has spread to the lymph nodes)
- Metastatic prostate cancer (cancer that has spread to other parts of the body)
- Recurrent prostate cancer (cancer that is not responding to treatment)
Our clinic is also open to men who have received a prostate cancer diagnosis at another health system and have questions about or are undecided on next steps. Your doctor may refer you to our clinic or you can self-refer.
Before Your First Appointment
To provide us with as much information as possible about your diagnosis and health, please make sure we have all your medical records before your first visit, including:
- Blood test results
- Biopsy slides and pathology report
- Imaging studies (MRI or CT)
Molecular Profiling and Genetic Testing
Every person's cancer tumor is unique — this is why we personalize each person's care plan with:
- Molecular profiling of the cancer tumor
- Genetic testing / genetic sequencing
Find out more:
Center for Personalized Cancer Therapy
Treatment Options for Prostate Cancer
Depending on your health status and tumor type, your prostate cancer treatment may involve a combination of different approaches, including:
Support Services for Cancer Patients and Families
Our cancer care goes beyond providing you with the best available treatment options. We offer complementary therapies and services, such as:
psychosocial support team can help address the emotional challenges that may accompany a cancer diagnosis and treatment, as well. Follow-up care, including a survivorship care plan, is also provided.
Related Services for Prostate Cancer Patients