Our multidisciplinary Prostate Cancer Clinic brings some of the best prostate cancer doctors in San Diego County to one location, so men can conveniently and quickly access the specialized care they need.
This unique clinic focuses on improving the prognosis and quality of life for men with aggressive or advanced
At our clinic, you may:
- Discuss treatment options with three cancer specialists — a medical oncologist, urologic surgeon and radiation oncologist — during a single visit
- Receive a balanced view of treatment options with quality-of-life considerations incorporated into your care plan
- Receive tests and treatments that meet the highest standards of cancer care, including genetic and molecular evaluations to further personalize care
- Have faster and more convenient access to cancer care through all stages of treatment
- Access the most-promising, new prostate cancer treatment through participation in a clinical trial
Prostate Cancer Clinic Specialists
Each patient's care team draws on the expertise of doctors who specialize in urologic and prostate cancers:
Who Is Eligible for the Clinic?
The clinic is designed for men with aggressive or advanced prostate cancer who want to know, and receive guidance on, all of their treatment choices. You may:
- Be newly diagnosed with an aggressive form of prostate cancer
- Have cancer that has spread to the lymph nodes or spread to other parts of the body (metastasized)
- Have cancer that is not responding to treatment
Our clinic is also open to men who have received a prostate cancer diagnosis at another health system and have questions about or are undecided on next steps. Your doctor may refer you to our clinic or you can self-refer.
Before Your First Appointment
To provide us with as much information as possible about your diagnosis and health, please make sure we have all your medical records before your first visit, including:
- Blood test results
- Biopsy slides and pathology report
- Imaging studies (MRI or CT)
Molecular Profiling and Genetic Testing
Every person's cancer tumor is unique — this is why we personalize each person's care plan with:
- Molecular profiling of the cancer tumor
- Genetic testing / genetic sequencing
Find out more:
Center for Personalized Cancer Therapy
Treatment Options for Metastatic or Aggressive Prostate Cancer
In addition to
standard treatment options for prostate cancer, which may include surgery and radiation therapy, men who come to the Prostate Cancer Clinic have access to innovative systemic treatments that may not be available at community hospitals. At UC San Diego Health, you will find a full range of treatment options for your cancer.
Immunotherapy / Cancer Vaccine
Immunotherapy harnesses the body's own immune system to fight cancer. Depending on your health and response to prior treatment, you may be a candidate for an immunotherapy approach, including: Sipuleucel-T, a cellular immunotherapy, often called a cancer vaccine therapy.
Hormone therapies lower male hormone (androgen) levels in the body or prevent androgens from interacting with cancer cells. If your cancer is aggressive or has spread outside the prostate, your medical oncologist may recommend:
Androgen deprivation therapy, also called ADT, which lowers androgen levels in the testicles
Anti-androgen therapy, which prevents androgens from interacting with cancer cells
Your doctor may recommend chemotherapy if your cancer has spread outside your prostate or hormone therapy isn’t working. Chemotherapy drugs are usually given through an infusion, or IV.
UC San Diego Health physicians are actively researching ways to improve cancer care. By joining a clinical trial, you may receive early access to the most promising new prostate cancer treatments. Talk to your doctor about whether a clinical trial could be right for you.
Support Services for You and Your Family
At UC San Diego Health, your care goes beyond treating disease. It also includes supporting you and your loved ones emotionally with classes, support groups and a variety of counseling services. Most of these services are free.
Related Services for Prostate Cancer Patients