We're proud of our exceptional record for high quality care. For more information on quality scores, see
Quality and Safety at UC San Diego Health.
- We have earned the Get With The Guidelines – Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. We are also listed on its Target: Stroke Elite Plus Honor Roll. Both distinctions recognize our commitment to saving the lives of stroke patients.
- Earning a Gold Seal from The Joint Commission signifies the highest level of quality care for our patients. Our Gold Seal Advanced Certification programs include our Comprehensive Stroke Center and Ventricular Assist Device program.
- We consistently rank among the top 50 programs in the nation for cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery by
U.S. News & World Report
We were named one of the nation's 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals for 2013 by Truven Health Analytics. The study examined the performance of more than 1,000 hospitals by analyzing outcomes for patients with heart failure and heart attacks, and for those who received coronary bypass surgery and percutaneous coronary inventions such as angioplasties. The top 50 hospitals achieved significantly higher levels of care efficiency than their peers.
- In 2013, we were designated a
Blue Distinction Center for both Blue Shield and Anthem Blue Cross.
- Recently, we significantly decreased "door-to-balloon" time, or the time it took for a lifesaving procedure during the most severe types of heart attacks. Our time was under 60 minutes, well below the national benchmarks.
More about door-to-balloon time.
- We were one of only 167 hospital nationwide to receive America College of Cardiology Foundation's NCR ACTION Registry-GWTG (Get With the Guidelines) Gold Performance Achievement Award for 2011. The quality improvement program recognizes our success in implementing a higher standard of care for heart attack patients and signifies that our team has reached an aggressive goal of treating these patients.
More about get-with-the-guidelines-award.
- In February 2011, we performed a rare, life-saving cardiac surgery called heterotopic heart transplantation, where the patient’s own heart remains in place while a donor heart is implanted, leaving the patient with two beating hearts.
More about heterotopic heart transplantation.
- The Stroke Center at UC San Diego Health earned the Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval in 2004 and became the first primary stroke center in San Diego County.
Stroke care facts and figures.