COVID-19 update: Our providers are seeing patients and we have resumed necessary surgeries and procedures. Video visits are available for many appointment types. For in-person visits and procedures, we have increased our
safety measures to protect you and our caregivers. Call 858-657-8530 and we will guide you to the most appropriate type of care.
New and Current Patients
Patients are usually referred to us by a doctor but are welcome to call us for help with this process.
UC San Diego Health – La Jolla
Jacobs Medical Center, 1st Floor
If you have heart disease or have experienced a cardiac event or surgery, our cardiac rehabilitation and wellness program can help you change your lifestyle, improve your diet and fitness, and provide you with the tools to stay on your new path.
Pam Taub, MD, FACC, our intensive cardiac rehabilitation program is one of the largest in the nation and is conducting innovative research.
We are housed in Jacobs Medical Center and offer state-of-the-art exercise and monitoring equipment, exam rooms, a teaching kitchen and multipurpose room, all designed to enhance our patients’ health and lives.
The program is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR), which recognizes our commitment to providing high quality patient care and services.
Meet Our Cardiac Rehab Specialists
A Team of Experts
Our team also includes experts from many disciplines, including:
- Registered nurses
- Exercise physiologists
- Registered dietitians
- Behavioral health specialists
- Fitness instructors (tai chi, yoga, etc.)
- Program manager and staff
We start with a medical evaluation to determine your needs and any limitations you may have. Our team uses this information to customize a program that includes exercise, nutrition, counseling and education to promote heart-healthy living.
Patients We Serve
For both our standard and intensive tracks, we work with patients who have experienced one or more of the following:
- Heart attack
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Current stable angina
- Heart valve repair or replacement
- Coronary angioplasty or coronary stenting
- Heart or heart-lung transplant
- Congestive heart failure
- VAD (Ventricular Assist Device) procedure
- Peripheral Arterial Disease
What Are the Benefits of Cardiac Rehabilitation?
Cardiac rehabilitation can:
- Reduce the risk of a future heart-related event
- Decrease the frequency and severity of chest pain
- Lower the likelihood of future surgery
- Lessen dependence on medications
- Lower cholesterol, control weight and improve blood pressure
- Increase capacity for exercise
- Improve quality of life by decreasing depression and/or anxiety
What Are the Options for Cardiac Rehabilitation Patients?
After physicians refer patients to our program, we work with each patient to determine whether the standard or intensive track is the best fit for them. This depends on their individual needs, program availability, and insurance coverage. We accept Medicare, private insurance, and direct patient payment.
Intensive Cardiac Rehabilitation
The intensive cardiac rehabilitation track is integrated with Dr. Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease®, the first and only program that is scientifically proven to slow, stop and even reverse the progression of heart disease.
UC San Diego Health is the only facility in San Diego offering this program.
More about Ornish Lifestyle Medicine™.
What is Standard Cardiac Rehabilitation?
The standard track includes:
- Individually monitored exercise sessions using the latest equipment
- Cardiovascular exercise using a treadmill, bike or rowing machine, or a plan for walking or jogging
- Monitoring improvement or changes in your symptoms by a healthcare professional
- A program that starts slowly and builds as you get stronger
- Strength training if suitable, as determined by your doctor
- Ongoing monitoring of your heart rate, blood pressure and your ECG readings
- Education on heart-healthy living, including nutrition and cooking
- Counseling for help with stress reduction and active living
Medicare and most insurances reimburse up to 36, one-hour sessions.
Improving your heart health is a team effort. You will partner with us, along with family and friends, to take charge of your life.