COVID-19 update: Our providers are seeing patients and we have resumed necessary surgeries and procedures. Video visits are available for many appointment types. For in-person visits and procedures, we have increased our
safety measures to protect you and our caregivers. Call 858-657-8530 and we will guide you to the most appropriate type of care.
New and Current Patients
Patients are usually referred to us by a doctor but are welcome to call us for help with this process.
UC San Diego Health – La Jolla
Jacobs Medical Center, 1st Floor
If you have heart disease or have experienced a cardiac event or surgery, our cardiac rehabilitation and wellness program can help you change your lifestyle and provide you with the tools to stay on your new path.
We partner with Pritikin Intensive Cardiac Rehab to provide comprehensive rehabilitation services that help you improve your fitness and nutrition as well as your mind-set to boost healthy habits.
Pam Taub, MD, FACC, our cardiac rehabilitation program is one of the largest in the nation and is conducting innovative research.
Housed in Jacobs Medical Center, we offer state-of-the-art exercise and monitoring equipment, exam rooms, a teaching kitchen and multipurpose room.
American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR)
The program is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR), which recognizes our commitment to providing high quality patient care and services.
Meet Our Cardiac Rehab Specialists
Patients We Serve
We work with patients who have experienced one or more of the following:
- Heart attack
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Current stable angina
- Heart valve repair or replacement
- Coronary angioplasty or coronary stenting
- Heart or heart-lung transplant
- Congestive heart failure
- VAD (ventricular assist device) procedure
- Peripheral arterial disease (supervised exercise therapy program)
A Team of Experts
Our team also includes experts from many disciplines, including:
- Registered nurses
- Exercise physiologists
- Registered dietitians
- Behavioral health specialists
- Fitness instructors (tai chi, yoga, etc.)
- Program manager and staff
We start with a medical evaluation to determine your needs and any limitations you may have. Our team uses this information to customize a program that fits your individual needs.
We focus on the three key pillars of the Pritikin program: Regular exercise, heart-healthy nutrition and a healthy mind-set. Our program includes:
- A medically supervised exercise program tailored to your current fitness level. This may be strength training and/or cardiovascular exercise using a treadmill, bike or rowing machine, or a plan for walking or jogging
- Engaging, Pritikin-exclusive workshops and cooking classes
- Monitoring improvement or changes in your symptoms by a healthcare professional, with ongoing monitoring of your heart rate, blood pressure and your ECG readings
- Counseling to help you reduce stress and promote active living
Our program includes 36 or 72 sessions, depending on your insurance or Medicare coverage.
Benefits of Cardiac Rehabilitation
Cardiac rehabilitation can:
- Reduce the risk of a future heart-related event
- Decrease the frequency and severity of chest pain
- Lower the likelihood of future surgery
- Lessen dependence on medications
- Lower cholesterol, control weight and improve blood pressure
- Increase capacity for exercise
- Improve quality of life by decreasing depression and/or anxiety
Improving your heart health is a team effort. You will partner with us, along with family and friends, to take charge of your life.