Your gift will support our patients, our Hemophilia Treatment Center, and our hemophilia research in many valuable, important and most appreciated ways.
Aging patients with hemophilia often develop crippling and deforming joint disease. Often, they suffer from Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and/or hepatitis infections due to transfusions with tainted clotting factor preparations prior to the early 1980s. Therefore, our patients often become unable to work and to support their families. It is our mission to assist our patients with medical care and the basic needs of daily living.
It is also our mission to conduct meaningful research for the aging population with hemophilia, and specifically address areas that require more scientific knowledge to improve patient care, patient longevity and patient outcomes. Such topics include heart disease and hypertension, progressive joint disease and osteoporosis, as well as novel ways to improve clotting and stop bleeding.
In addition, we need to educate the next generation of hemophilia nurses, physical therapists and physicians. Resources to do all those things are urgently required. Your contribution will serve any of those goals, and you may specify your area of interest.
How Your Gift Could Help
See examples of how your gift could be used in each category.
- Transportation of patients to our clinic
- Food vouchers
- Assistance with rent
- Payment of medical or dental bills for those who are uninsured
- Development and initiation of clinical and basic research protocols in heart and joint disease
- Support for a study nurse
- Support for a hemophilia research fellow
- Materials and supplies for basic laboratory research to help develop novel, more effective clotting factor preparations
- Support for hematology fellows, nursing students or young physical therapists
- Curriculum development for physicians in training, to create time to teach
- Stipends to support young health care providers, and to encourage them to enter the field of hemophilia